Women’s volleyball defeats San Diego Christian, falls to Fresno Pacific

The women’s volleyball team defeated San Diego Christian College 3-0 but lost 3-1 against Fresno Pacific University.

Alex Bos, Writer

The Biola women’s volleyball team defeated San Diego Christian College 3-0 on Saturday, 25-14, 25-22, 25-17. Then they suffered a 3-1 loss at home to Fresno Pacific University, Tuesday.

Biola’s top players in Saturday’s match

In Saturday’s match against the San Diego Christian Hawks, senior Sarah Schweiger led Biola with 12 kills, junior Christine Douglas added 10 kills and two blocks and junior Nicolette Mather had eight kills and two blocks.

“We went in knowing we were going to win,” assistant coach Dani Aigaki said. “It wasn’t good but we played good enough to win.”

The Eagles held the Hawks to only 29 kills and a kill percentage of .062. Biola dominated with 42 kills and a kill percentage of .347.

Sophomore Aja Walker led San Diego with 10 kills and freshman Lauren Phillips added nine kills, one block and one dig. Sophomore Shelby Broberg also added five blocks.

“We go there [San Diego Christian College] with a lot of confidence, it’s a place we are used to winning,” Aigaki said.

Biola struggles in match against Fresno Pacific

After defeating the Hawks in three sets, Biola came out strong enough to take the first set from Fresno Pacific, 25-20, but lost the next three to the Sunbirds 26-28, 26-28, 22-25.

“They (Fresno) played bad the first game, they played a lot better in the last three,” Aigaki said.

Neither team was very successful on the offensive side of the court. The Sunbirds had a .212 kill percentage with 65 kills. The Eagles struggled with 56 kills and a .187 kill percentage.

Senior Martina Gregusova led Fresno Pacific with an astonishing 23 kills, Gregusova also had two blocks in the match. Sophomore Jessie Alcorn also had a solid game with 19 kills, three blocks and two digs.

“We played together as a team. We had a lot of passion,” said Kathleen Anderson, a sophomore at Fresno Pacific. Anderson added 12 kills, six blocks and two digs.

Douglas had 19 kills and four blocks for Biola. Schweiger had 10 kills and junior Rachel Buckley added seven kills and four blocks.

“We struggle this year with winning close games. And that’s something we know we need to work on,” Aigaki said.

Aigaki also wanted to add the team didn’t give up in any way, they were just out-played.

Biola (5-4) will travel to Vanguard (5-4) Saturday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. Last time the two teams played the Eagles won in three straight sets.