Finding faith in art and film

Christians and churches struggle with how to create artistic films and creative art that reflect faith.

Ethan Froelich, Writer

In Biola’s “Year of the Arts,” the university is committed to fostering an environment where sacred spaces of Christian art can be experienced by students on campus. Yet, today, art that is classified as Christian seems to come from whether or not the artist is a Christian and created the piece for the purpose of promoting the gospel. There are some pieces of art and film, however, that stop us in our tracks and turn a glance into a gaze, regardless of who created the piece.

Secular filmmakers create more artistic Christian films

One film made by Christians and that presents the gospel is “Courageous,” which is out in theaters now. It is a cheesy, typical Christian movie about four law enforcement officers who make great policemen, but seem to fail as fathers. “Courageous” is from the makers of “Fireproof” which was a filmmaker’s worst nightmare. “Fireproof” is riddled with cringe-inducing moments including bad acting, horrible dialogue and a lack of an original plot. This film blatantly presents the gospel, but there is also a definite absence of artistic merit.

“The Book of Eli,”
on the other hand, is an example of secular filmmakers understanding how to craft a story around a Christian theme. Brothers Albert and Allen Hughes recognized that sometimes what makes grace and love seem all the more real to an audience is its contrast to evil.

“The Book of Eli” takes place in the complex world of post-apocalyptic United States that is nearly hell on earth. The world includes rampant cannibalism, theft and rape. However, this construction of evil is necessary for the good to shine through. The main character, played by Denzel Washington, prays before eating, shares food and never attacks unless provoked, shocking both the other characters in the movie and the viewer.

Thom Parham sums up movies like “The Book of Eli” when he says, “Secular filmmakers tend to observe life more objectively than Christians. They see the world the way it really is, warts and all.” In his book, “Why Do Heathens Make the Best Christian Films?” Parham recognizes that most secular filmmakers understand how to recreate the real world in all its evil so that the hero, or the good in the film, does not need an introduction.

Gospel displayed through realistic depiction of life

Ian Mayta, a senior majoring in both art and film, is going a less conventional route for his senior media project. His project is half play, half film and is based off of the play “Up” by Bridget Carpenter, renamed “The Man in the Flying Chair.” The play’s themes would not traditionally be considered Christian. The play was written by a non-Christian, and in its original condition, the play does not try to present a clear message of the gospel. Despite not attempting to show any obvious Christian messages, the film contains universal messages of pain and betrayal intersected by glimpses of promise and assurance to a time where all things will be better.

Mayta is putting on the play because he says the play is more like the reality of how life actually is. Although life is not always pretty, there are beautiful things that we can get out of life that are in line with the gospel.

Incorporating art and film into church services

One church that understands the importance of how art can be used to further the gospel is Southlands Church in Brea, Calif. Churches like Southlands use art and film to coincide with their message during the service. Sometimes, Southlands will have an artist paint an image of something that correlates to the sermon while the pastor is preaching. Starting off with a blank canvas at the beginning of each service, the artist will have completed a painting by the end, where the full picture comes into focus. Video is also used to tie in the message to an everyday situation or highlight the intent of a sermon.

Many churches are not at this point. Churches struggle to be contemporary and to incorporate art into their services without sacrificing what they believe, since they don’t want to add elements that would seem like they are changing church to match the world. Worship is a primary example of where the church gets up-in-arms about being more artistic. Many churches will sing songs that they have sung for years, refusing to add other instruments such as drums and guitars.

Communicating the gospel artistically in film

Christian filmmakers are in a similar boat. While many create movies that mirror “Facing the Giants” with its typical, obvious Christian message; others feel called to create movies that are more like “The Book of Eli.” Both movies present elements of the gospel, with “Courageous” doing it more obviously by having characters discuss scripture and praying to God without any real artistic presentation. “The Book of Eli” presents the gospel in a more artistic, yet subtle way with Denzel Washington following the path the Lord has laid out for him, without it being obvious how God is leading him until the very end of the movie. Hopefully, Christian filmmakers can come to a healthy medium; incorporating the gospel into the film without sacrificing artistic creativity in the process.

In any case, Christians, especially at Biola, should feel encouraged to incorporate art into what they are gifted at. Art professor Barry Krammes in the Fall 2011 issue of Biola Magazine says that artists’ work “gives voice to irrepressible truth.” This should be kept in mind as Biola and its students aim to create art in a new way that promotes truth, without sacrificing creativity.