[Updated] Women’s soccer defeats San Diego Christian, 3-1

The women’s soccer team won 3-1 against San Diego Christian College on Saturday, Oct. 8.

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola women’s soccer team defeated San Diego Christian College 3-1 in an away game on Saturday. Sophomore Jessica Austin (http://athletics.biola.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=1234&path=wsoc) recorded her team-best sixth goal of the season to lead the Eagles to their fifth win in the last seven matches. Senior Erin Frushon contributed three saves to help earn the victory. Biola evened their overall record to 5-5 and improved to 2-1 in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Austin sparks offensive

Austin did not start the match as she usually does, but nevertheless, was a huge momentum booster coming off the bench. She entered the game around the 29th minute and 30 seconds later she scored Biola’s first goal thanks to an assist by junior Taylor Lundquist. The score remained at 1-0 for the rest of the half despite the Eagle’s 14-4 advantage in shots attempted.

Biola leads 3-0

Biola scored their next goal just five minutes into the second period. The goal was set up with a great pass from senior Brittany Barr to fellow senior Sarina Coutin, whose diving header made it past San Diego’s Emily Wilson to bring the score to 2-0. The goal was Coutin’s first of the season.

Seven minutes later the Eagles increased the lead to three with another goal, this time from sophomore Chrissy King who scored off a nice pass from junior Katie Cabuling (http://athletics.biola.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=1256&path=wsoc). It was King’s second goal of the season.

Each of Biola’s three goals were set up by a different pair of players, showing that the team’s offense is well rounded.

“It definitely says a lot that there’s not just one or two individual players that are making things happen … it just shows how, as a team, we can work together with whoever is on the field,” Cabuling said.

Hawks fight back

It looked as though the Eagles were going to record another 3-0 shutout. However, at the 69th minute, Hawk’s senior Hannah Waggoner rebounded a shot off the crossbar and into the net to make the score 3-1.

“We ended up letting them come back with a goal … I think we learned that regardless of the score, we need to keep fighting until the end of the game,” King said.

The goal was a much-needed one for the Hawks because it ended a 353-minute scoring drought.

“It was very important to get that win [against San Diego]. Coach talked to us before and told us that it was a must-win, so that puts a little added pressure and it definitely gives us the confidence to go into our game against Fresno,” Cabuling said.

The Eagle’s take on Azusa Pacific University at home on Saturday, Oct. 15 at 3:30 p.m. during Biola’s Alumni Weekend.