Biola prays in the rain for annual Day of Prayer

Day of Prayer events are still held despite the unexpected weather.

Ashley Jones

Madison McGinness, prayer coordinator for SMU, receives prayer during After Dark on October 5, 2011. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Patricia Diaz, Writer

Devoted students stand in the rain to pray during one of the five meeting times for “Prayer at the Belltower” on October 5, 2011. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Pouring rain today heralded the start of Biola’s annual Day of Prayer, as students ducked into chapel shaking out umbrellas and emerging from under their hoods. The day, themed “Your Kingdom Come,” offered many opportunities for spiritual reflection including a morning chapel with President Barry Corey, prayer gatherings throughout the day, and an open question and answer time with a panel of professors featuring some unexpected gymnastics courtesy of one panel member.

Uniting through prayer

Sophomore Stephen Croft, SMU co-director of prayer, introduced the day as a time to recommit to prayer. Co-director Madison Mcginness, who also led worship for the morning chapel, said she hoped the day would be a catalyst to plunge people into the heart of God, resulting in unity and kingdom-mindedness.

“Prayer expands our horizons beyond our present challenges. Prayer opens our eyes when we need to repent. Prayer will cultivate in us a kingdom mindedness and unity that I believe we need,” President Corey said at the morning chapel.

Events continue despite the weather

The rain came as a surprise for event organizers. “We didn’t even think to check!” said co-director Madison McGinness, a senior psychology major. Times of prayer were planned throughout the day at the Biola Bell Towers, and continued despite the weather. Freshman Cody Nord, who helped coordinate the 11 a.m. prayer for Los Angeles session, said the seven students who showed up had the option to move inside, but decided instead to stand out in the storm.

“It was a humbling experience to pray in the rain,” said Nord. “Usually we pray when we’re comfortable, after we’ve done all the stuff we need to do, in the privacy of our rooms. When we want to.” Instead, the group stayed out in the storm for half an hour to signify their commitment to coming to God in submission and humility as they prayed His kingdom down. “We got really wet!” Nord said.

Freshman business major Brian Trinh said he skipped the Bell Tower prayer events because of the rain, but did attend the afternoon prayer panel, after hearing it announced at chapel that morning. Around 25 students gathered in Sutherland for the intimate hour long conversation about prayer and its role in relationship with God. Four professors representing Biblical Studies, Intercultural Studies, and Christian Education fielded questions from students on everything from whether all prayers are answered, to the role of prayer in healing and casting out spirits.

Texting God

Intercultural Studies professor George Payton compared a healthy prayer life to a constant texting relationship with God where a person checks in often throughout their day. “God just wants to connect with us, and He’s happy to get that text from us,” Payton said.

ICS professor “Uncle” Lloyd Peckham stood on his head several times and did a round of pushups to demonstrate his prayer routine which integrates various forms of exercise with mnemonic devices to recall the dozens of people he prays for daily.

Theology professor Jason McMartin shared on the vital role of prayer in vertical relationship, saying we need to put aside our time-consciousness and “waste time with God” instead. The speakers also emphasized the role of gratitude in our posture before God and the fact that God’s kingdom is relational, contrary to our radically individualistic society.

“You cannot say you love God and ignore people,” Payton said. “You love God through loving people.