Athlete of the Week: Collin Christensen transfers from Wheaton, looks to make impact on Biola cross-country

Cross country runner, Collin Christensen hopes to someday help coach the Biola cross country team and eventually start his own program.

RobertRay Photography

Athlete of the week: Cross-Country runner and senior Collin Christensen. | Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Conner Penfold, Writer

Christensen returns to school after one year absence

Senior Collin Christensen has spent almost his entire life in the western Chicago suburb of Wheaton, Ill. But after three years at nearby Wheaton College, this cross-country runner headed to La Mirada for his final year of undergraduate education, and hopefully the beginnings of a desired coaching career.

“I felt like 21 years in Wheaton was enough,” Christensen joked. “So I took a year off from school and visited here last February and had a great visit with the [cross-country] guys and that sealed the deal.”

Team chemistry draws Christensen in

Christensen is now part of a nine-man team here at Biola; a close-knit group that he says is what attracts him so much to the sport.

“It’s really fun being on a team where everyone is working toward one common goal,” Christensen said.

That one common goal is simple. Finish fast and finish together. And that, Christensen said, is exactly the motivation that is in the mind of a runner during a race.

“I really want to run with these guys and I don’t want to let them down,” Christensen said. “Knowing that you’re racing for five guys and not just for yourself helps you get over the idea that when that pain sets in it’s not just about you … it’s for something bigger, something greater.”

Recently, the team has succeeded in doing just that, and it has yielded great results. Their 27-second gap between the five runners in last weekend’s Willamette Invite in Salem, Ore. helped the team to a fifth place finish out of 20 teams, and a mere point behind the Golden State Athletic Conference No. 2 ranked Westmont College squad.

Despite the recent success, Christensen and the team expect greater things as the season progresses, acknowledging that national achievements are not out of the question.

“We certainly have national aspirations,” Christensen said. “Our whole training is based on getting to the national meet. We are all interchangeable and I think on any given day we can all run with each other.”

Christensen notes that the team has an individual mindset, as well as a team mindset. Still, coach Jonathan Zimmerman plays a huge role in the team’s successes.

“We can kind of get complacent, but Coach Zimmerman knows what it takes to succeed at the national level and he expects so much from us,” Christensen said. “Even though he is very demanding it’s because he thinks highly of us.”

Coach Zimmerman plays vital role in shaping Christensen’s future

Christensen has clear aspirations for his career beyond Biola. Zimmerman, along with being a mentor and leader, is Christensen’s model for his future.

“I plan on coaching on the college level,” Christensen said. “Which is why I really appreciate Coach Zimmerman not only for my performance now but also the strategy and philosophy that he’s imparted to me in the time here so far.”

Christensen’s ideal scenario involves sticking around Biola and pursuing an assistant coaching position with the cross-country team.

“The dream is to have a program of my own someday and I think that’s very attainable,” Christensen said. “I think it’s the best job in the world so I’m really looking forward to getting out there and doing that.”