Men’s golf finishes 14th in tournament

The men’s golf team finishes 14th in the 2011 Fall National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Preview Tournament.

Brieana Jordan, Writer

Joshua Mathis places 21st, paves the way for Eagles’ 14th place finish

The Biola men’s golf team participated in the 2011 Fall National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Preview Tournament, hosted by Corban University in Salem, Ore. at the Creekside Golf Club on Monday and Tuesday, where they placed 14th out of 20 teams. On Monday, Biola finished the first round with an overall score of 308 with 20 shots over par in the first 18 holes and in a tie for 10th. On Tuesday the Eagles ended the tournament with a team total of 625, good enough for 14th.

Junior Joshua Mathis led the team in the first round with a one-over-par performance. Freshman Kyle Schrader finished the first round four over at 76 and following him was freshman Micah Mathis who finished with five-over-par at 77.

In addition, senior John Graham finished with a 10-over-par 82 and senior Greg Bodine an 11-over-par 83.

“We played solid the first day, but were hurt a little bit by having to take an 82,” Joshua Mathis said.

Weather dampens day two of tournament

Despite the weather bringing more rain and stronger winds on Tuesday at the tournament, Joshua Mathis once again led the team by finishing in the top 21 overall individually. He shot a 37 on the front nine but then bogeyed five of the last nine holes to conclude the tournament with seven-over-par.

Biola’s second highest finisher that day was Schrader, achieving a tie for 49th place with 13-over-par at 157. Graham tied for 63rd by shooting 17-over-par and Bodine tied for 71st place with an 18-over-par finish.

“The wind and the rain made finishing the round not only tough physically, but also mentally. It’s very tough to play good golf when you don’t even want to be on the course,” Joshua Mathis said.

Winning the tournament was Texas Wesleyan University with a team total of 12-over-par 588.

Fall season nears end

The team will end its fall season at The Master’s College Fall Invitational Oct. 31 – Nov. 1 at Robinson Ranch Golf Club in Santa Clarita, Calif.