Women’s volleyball wins in four sets against Point Loma

The women’s volleyball team wins 3-1 against Point Loma Nazarene University.

Tyler Otte

Junior Rachel Buckley celebrates with teammates during Biola’s victory on Tuesday night over Pt. Loma Nazarene. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Cassandra Acosta, Writer

Biola upsets No. 9 Point Loma in 4 sets

National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics No. 15 Biola women’s volleyball matched up against No. 9 Point Loma Nazarene University on Tuesday night at Chase Gymnasium and came out with a 3-1 win.

The Sea Lions take set one, The Eagles rattle off three straight set wins

The Sea Lions powered through the first set, pulling out a win of 25-22. Point Loma came into the second set and took the lead 3-0, but Biola fired back taking an 8-5 lead after a kill by senior Joy Talcott. Biola continued to keep the points rolling, pulling out an 8 point lead of 20-12 after a kill by junior Rachel Buckley. The Sea Lions powered back, closing the gap 21-19. But in the end Biola pulled out the win, 25-21.

Biola came into the third set ready to play, taking a quick 9-2 lead with a kill by junior Christine Douglas. Biola continued to score, widening the gap 16-5. Multiple kills by Douglas widened the gap even more, giving Biola the lead and the set win, 25-11.

Back and forth scores keep set close, but Biola previals

Going into the fourth set, the pressure was on the Sea Lions. After much rallying, the score continued to go back and forth. A kill by freshman Delaney McCraney gave the Sea Lions the lead they were looking for. However, they were not able to keep it for long because back to back kills by freshman Rachel Kruegger and Douglas put the Eagles back on top. Biola stretched their lead even more from that point and finally ended the game on a kill by sophomore Nicolette Mather, 25-16.