Women’s soccer loses against Concordia, 2-0

Women’s soccer loses 2-0 against Concordia University during an away game Saturday, Oct. 1.

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola women’s soccer team lost 2-0 to No. 5 ranked Concordia University in an away game on Saturday. It was the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) opener for both teams. Biola fell to a 3-5 overall season record and to 0-1 in the conference while Concordia improved to 9-1 and 1-0 in the GSAC.

Biola starts out with strong defense

The tables were turned on Biola, who came into the game after a 3-0 victory over Marymount last week, but were kept scoreless by Concordia. Biola played well in the first half and locked down on the defensive end, holding Concordia scoreless.

Concordia takes over in second period

The second half was much more exciting with the teams firing a combined 14 shots as opposed to only 3 in the first half. Just 1:06 into the second period, Concordia’s Jacqueline Turner scored a goal to give them a 1-0 lead. Twenty minutes later, she assisted on an insurance goal by freshman Arianna Vaughn to increase their lead to two.

Biola unable to score

Biola attempted six shots over the final 25 minutes of the game, but was unable to get past the quick hands of Concordia’s goalkeeper junior Bekah Garvin who stopped five of those shots.

Biola will return to the turf on Tuesday, Oct. 4 in a home game against Hope International University at 7:00 p.m.