Club sports appeal to students with varied interests, fitness levels

Club sports geared toward competitive and noncompetitive students.

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Although Biola’s athletic department includes 17 varsity sports, it still does not offer every sport on a varsity level. However Biola does offer a wide variety of non-school sponsored teams to accommodate them.

In addition to already established clubs such as men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s volleyball and XOPOC, Associated Students has recently added a variety of sports and clubs who focus on bringing glory to God in a competitive and collegiate setting. Clubs not many have already heard of are Biola Rugby, Biola Water Polo, Royal Dart Society, Biola CrossFit Club, Biola Archery Club, the Biola Fencing Friends, Community Bike Rides and Adventure Club.

Sports clubs encourage faith, unity

Aside from athleticism many of these clubs also try to incorporate spiritual elements.

“Biola Rugby is a club sports team dedicated to spreading the word and raising awareness about the great sport of rugby, while training to play at a collegiate level, and bringing the love and the example of Christ to the game,” said senior Anthony Cantu, president of the rugby club.

Not only do these clubs focus on the spiritual well-being of their members, they also highlight the importance of unity within the club.

Sophomore Kyle Schalin, a displaced high school fencer, began the Biola Fencing Friends this year. The BFF’s main focus is to instill a high level of fitness and friendship for the club members while bringing glory and honor to the Lord, Schalin said.

One of the oldest club sports here at Biola is the men’s lacrosse club which started in 2001. “We are not just about winning, we don’t get much funding, and we aren’t a team that anyone gets scholarships for. Our main focus is what matters most, and that’s God,” co-captain Sean Lane said.

Noncompetitive clubs focus on community

One noncompetitive sports club is Community Bike Rides. As the name implies, this club is concerned with community. Senior Johnny Vanderwell, president and founder of the club, began the CBR two years ago with a group of his friends.

Their aim is “just for people to have a good time with friends and to ride bikes,” Vanderwell said.

The beauty of this club is that bike riding is something everyone can enjoy.

“Anyone who has a bike can come out here and have fun. It’s like taking a walk together,” he said.

Junior Alex Krevor, president of the Adventure Club, is adamant about incorporating his faith into the club. The club’s main goal “is to see God through nature, which is one of the two books God has written,” he said, with God’s other book being the Bible.

Biola Crossfit is another athletic club that doesn’t count wins or losses.

“Our main objective is to promote functional fitness and community while performing constantly varied functional movements at a high intensity,” junior Miles Bocianski, vice president of the Biola Crossfit Club, said.

Clubs help develop students’ athleticism

People of all fitness levels can join and there are a variety of workouts. Among these workouts are gymnastic movements, swimming, rowing, running, Olympic weight lifting and biking. Although this club focuses on developing one’s athleticism and fitness, this club is still heavily Christ-centered.

“Our heart for Crossfit Biola is that we would not seek fitness as a means to glorify ourselves but as a means to worship God,” club president and senior Peter Heald said in a recent newsletter sent out to club members.

The water polo club is among the club teams that are getting started this year. The members meet to play on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-10 p.m. and Fridays from 11-12:30 p.m.

Although some may not consider darts a sport, it requires a level of skill that many do not possess. The Royal Dart Society is committed to developing their skill as it pertains to the sport, developing their member’s relationships with Christ and in their relationships with others.

“RDS is a place for gentlemen to come into Christian fellowship and have fun for the evening,” club president Zachary Zboncak said.

Since club sports are not school funded and their teams are technically unofficial, many write them off and do not take them seriously. However, AS club sports are a force to be reckoned with. The sports clubs here on campus are welcoming and devoted to developing the skill of any member that chooses to join their team.