Women’s volleyball improves to 13-4 following successful tournament

Women’s volleyball dominates at Point Loma tournament and improves their overall record.

Alex Bos, Writer

Biola deafeats Our Lady of the Lake, Embry-Riddle and McKendree

The Biola women’s volleyball preseason concluded after a two-day tournament at Point Loma Nazarene University. The team bumped themselves up to a 13-4 record after winning three games over the weekend and then tacking on another win at home against The Master’s College on Tuesday, Sept. 13. The Eagles are currently ranked No. 12 by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics as of Sept. 6.

Biola crushed the first three teams they played with their only loss coming from Malone University during the last game on Saturday. Two wins came on Friday against Our Lady of the Lake University, 25-29, 25-18, 25-17, and McKendree University, 25-10, 25-11, 25-23 and one win on Saturday against Embry-Riddle University.

“We made it a point to close out games and not give the other teams opportunities to pull games out from under us,” junior Rachel Buckley said.

Buckley came up with 15 kills and three blocks for Biola during the two matches Friday. Sophomore Chelsee Arnitz and junior Christine Douglas both added 19 kills each for the Eagles while freshman Amy Weststeyn led Biola with four blocks.

Saturday, Biola defeated Embry-Riddle in three sets, 25-22, 25-13 and 25-11. Douglas led the Eagles with nine kills and three blocks and Weststeyn added a solid seven kills and seven blocks.

“We were not prepared to play a tough match,” head coach Aaron Seltzer said coming into the last game Saturday.

Eagles’ lone tournament loss comes to Malone University

Biola fell to the Malone University Pioneers in three straight sets, 25-15, 25-20 and 25-15.

“They [Malone University] ran circles around us,” Seltzer said. “We struggled everywhere.”

Malone players junior Hannah Haver and senior Megan Fisher combined for 21 kills and two blocks during the win for the Pioneers.

Seltzer is assured that his girls are ready to play and start off the 2011 league season. He pointed out the girls know they need to play their absolute best in order to win.

“It is conference play now,” Seltzer said.

Biola beats up on Master’s for first conference win

It only took three sets for the Biola women’s volleyball team to defeat Master’s in their first conference match of the season, 25-23, 25-21, 25-29, Tuesday night at Biola’s Chase Gymnasium.

Sophomore Emily Weingartner explained her goals for the season before the match against The Master’s.

“Come out strong and finish games,” Weingartner said.

She explained how this game was a great way to relieve all the first game jitters. All aspects of the game were going in the favor of Biola Tuesday night.

“Our blocking was great,” Weingartner added.

The Eagles had 10 blocks with a few coming in very key situations. Late in the game junior Nicolette Mather came up with a huge block, giving Biola the edge to take the first game. In game three, Buckley got a big point off a block and then followed with a kill to end the match.

“Pretty much everything [went well]. We paid attention to what we need to,” Seltzer said.

Senior Sarah Schweiger racked up 11 kills, two digs and one block for the Eagles. Douglas and Arnitz also added eight kills each. Biola’s team was successful with 30.4 percent of the kills attempted during the match, compared to The Master’s 20.2 percent.

Freshman Samantha Dougherty led the Mustangs with 10 kills followed by sophomores Victoria Callihan and Jenna Kapuscinski who added seven kills each.

Tuesday’s win brings the Eagles to a 13-4 overall record with a 1-0 record in conference play. The Master’s drop down to a 12-4 overall record with a 0-1 record in conference play.

The Eagles will continue conference play Tuesday, Sept. 20 against Hope International University at Biola.