[Updated] Helicopters circle La Mirada house shooting

La Mirada Sheriff’s Department responds to local house shooting. Campus Safety Chief John Ojeisekhoba confirms no Biola involvement.

Amber Amaya, Writer

Updated 11:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 14:

No fatalities occurred during the shooting Wednesday night, confirmed Watch Commander, Lieutenant Rivera of the Norwalk Sheriff’s Station.

“A person shot some rounds in the air. No one was injured and that person was quickly arrested and the weapon recovered,” said Rivera.

Helicopters circled in La Mirada near lower campus around 8:50 p.m. Wednesday night. With searchlights on, they continued to fly in a circular motion right next to the soccer field for about 20 minutes.

The helicopters were hovering due to a local shooting, according to Campus Safety Chief John Ojeisekhoba. The incident was not related to Biola, he said.

“What we know is that there was a shooting in the area at a house and the Sheriff’s department has it contained,” Ojeisekhoba said. “Normally we call them to say, ‘Hey what’s going on,’ and to see if there’s anything we need to be concerned about for our campus but they said, ‘No, we have it contained.’”

Ojeisekhoba went on to state that if at any point students would have been at risk, Campus Safety would have sent out text messages to notify students. Campus Safety partners with the Sheriff’s department and is able to communicate immediately with them over their radios.

“Whenever we see helicopters or groups of squad cars we communicate with them to see what’s going on,” Ojeisekhoba said. “In this case we didn’t see any danger on campus.”

The Chimes will be in contact with the La Mirada Sheriff’s Department for further updates on this story.