Cracks on Calvary not a structural issue

Senior director of facilities planning and construction, Ken Bascom explains the cause of the cracks on Calvary.

Cracks are developing on Calvary Chapel due to preparations for re-painting. They became more visible after a power wash this morning, September 13, 2011. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Amber Amaya, Writer

Cracks are developing on Calvary Chapel due to preparations for re-painting. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Calvary Chapel has been attracting students’ attention today. Jagged cracks across the front of the chapel are visible from as far as the library. The cracks, however, are simply a cosmetic issue, not a structural one.

“The building is actually made of concrete panels that have a thin coat of plaster on them,” said Ken Bascom, senior director of facilities planning and construction. “[The plaster] is what’s cracking. They’re all superficial cracks that have been revealed.”

Bascom stated the university is preparing to repaint Calvary Chapel. Power washing and other preparations have caused the cracks to become more visible. The cracks are not related to the nearby construction of Talbot East.

Calvary Chapel is set to be painted within the next month.