AS Senate Rundown: Sept. 6, 2011

AS senators discuss the possibility of a shuttle service on campus and approve a pending proposal to increase the budget for clubs.

Christine Chan, Writer

AS senators approved a previously pending proposal to increase the budget for Biola clubs and touched on a future shuttle bus program to help transport students without cars during Tuesday’s weekly meeting.

The senate heard a proposal by the AS Executive Board to change the official title of AS secretaries to AS office assistants. The name change was requested on the grounds that the current title did not reflect the job, which often goes beyond secretarial work.

Possible shuttle service discussed

The senate also briefly discussed a Biola shuttle project to take students without cars around La Mirada and surrounding suburbs. The program involves Don Sims, senior director for Auxiliary Services, and President Corey, and will hopefully start in the spring of 2012.

AS vice president Janine Marderian, who headed the meeting, requested that senators take student feedback and opinion in the coming weeks.

Budget increase for clubs approved

The senators also discussed the proposal made last week by junior Natasha Cheeley, the AS clubs director, which requested a budget increase of $2,300 for club funding, $300 of which is planned for the Clubs Fair taking place on Sept. 13 and 14.

While senior Hannah Mason, senator for The Block, said that it made sense to up the funding to account for the increase of students this year, senior Luke Robinson, Sigma Hall senator, noted that after a year’s worth of experience, the previous AS clubs director supported a $4,000 budget cut.

Junior Marisela Iniguez, a Commuter Life senator, also observed that if the budget is increased, clubs should be made more accessible during the day, especially for commuters, who might not want to drive back and forth to Biola late at night. However, most senators were generally receptive to the idea of increasing the budget, believing $2,300 for clubs a reasonable amount to request.

“[Cheeley] is super passionate about making clubs known and a big deal on campus,” said sophomore Amanda Clarke, senator for Alpha West. “We have [clubs] but no one knows about them. They kind of fly under the radar and Natasha wants to change that.”

Junior Danielle Decena, South Horton senator, agreed and believed Cheeley would be financially responsible and distribute only what clubs need.

The proposal was approved for the full amount by majority vote.