Biola Bookstore expands online presence, offers new services

The Biola Bookstore expands its online presence through new features on the store’s website.

Amy Seed, Writer

The Biola Bookstore joins a growing trend this semester among university bookstores by establishing a greater online presence.

“I think this is the year, this is the semester we’re risking, you know, we’re moving forward with positive changes,” Harry Edwards, bookstore manager, said.

“And the winners are the students.”

Edwards implemented three changes to the bookstore this semester, which he said are the biggest changes in his seven years as manager. These changes are primarily online and are meant to provide Biola students with more options and better service for textbooks and dorm supplies.

Price comparison charts available for textbooks

One of the changes is the implementation of a price comparison chart for textbooks that compares prices for companies like Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Prices are shown in real time.

Edwards realizes students have more options for textbooks now than in the past, and competition among bookstores has grown. His hope is that the price comparison chart shows vulnerability and will help keep Biola Bookstore as a viable option for students.

“I think it shows a lot of integrity and care for the students,” senior Cameron Gardiner said.

The chart also serves as a gauge for the bookstore when determining their textbook prices. The staff now has the technology to see how their pricing compares with other online bookstores and are able to adjust prices accordingly.

Textbook prices a close match to other sellers

In terms of pricing, Edwards said the Biola Bookstore is about the same compared to other sellers and in the case where some prices might be higher than others, Edwards said the bookstore lowers its price to make it a closer match. Not all prices have been lowered, but prices are adjusted on a textbook-by-textbook basis.

“The message I have for students is, you can trust us, you know, the bookstore’s not there to gouge you. But when you consider convenience and service, I think we become competitive,” Edwards said.

The bookstore is also now renting textbooks online. Textbooks have been available to rent for the past two semesters, but students can now see which textbooks are available online without having to search in the store. However, not all textbooks are offered as digital copies. Rented print textbooks must still be picked up in the store.

Dorm supplies now sold online through bookstore

The bookstore is also partnering with Dorm Co, a company that sells dorm supplies such as furniture, decorations and small appliances. Dorm Co products can be found on the bookstore’s website and shipping on orders of any size is $2.95. Biola receives a cut of 10 to 15 percent of sales.

New social media strategy

The third change to the bookstore is its push toward social media. With over 2,600 “Likes” on Facebook, Edwards said he is looking for more ways to integrate Facebook with the bookstore website.

The bookstore is also using other forms of media to get students’ attention.

“We have noticed in a real way that students don’t read too much anymore or their attention span is short, I guess they’re busy with other things, that’s more important to them. So fliers, no matter how cool they look, it just goes in the trash,” Edwards said.

During the first week of the semester, fliers were hung around campus with Quick Response codes students could scan with a smartphone to view a video online. This strategy is great for students who have phones with that capability, but not all students know what a QR code is or how to scan it with their phones.

“I think if you have a phone like that, it might be something you’d do,” said freshman Gia Hernandez, who recently learned about QR codes but does not have a phone with the ability to scan them.

From now on, the bookstore plans to reach students with announcements through online media.

“I feel like from this day forward, a lot of our major announcements are going to be by way of video. We’re just going to talk to you guys, and I’ve got student workers who are eager to do those things,” Edwards said.

All these services are available online at http://biolabookstore.com.