Athlete of the Week: Sarah Schweiger adds talent to Eagles volleyball

Sarah Schweiger, Biola’s newly recruited, newly married athlete, arrives on campus with an impressive resume.

Conner Penfold, Writer

When the Biola women’s volleyball program recruited junior Sarah McAtee to play her final year with the Eagles, she departed from San Jose State University with more than just an impressive resume.

The 6-foot-1-inch outside hitter from Grass Valley, Calif., arrived on campus with a wedding ring on her left hand.

Marriage provides extra support for athletic season

McAtee, now Sarah Schweiger, tied the knot this summer with her longtime boyfriend Jeff Schweiger, and thus far, she says her marriage is a blessing for her final collegiate season.

“The biggest thing is I have my biggest supporter down here with me,” Schweiger said. “I think that alone is going to be a huge strength for me.”

So far, that support has reaped benefits.

Schweiger has tallied 80 kills in the team’s first eight games, which amounts to a solid 2.96 kills per set, putting her second on the team in that category. She is also second on the team in points and digs, with 93.5 and 51, respectively.

Schweiger steps up to fill empty role

Schweiger is expected to play a vital role in the team’s success this year, and the reason behind her recruitment leads to that conclusion. With outside hitter Kim Russell no longer part of the squad, Biola needed someone to step up.

“They lost their going-to-be senior outside hitter, which is the position I was willing to fill, so it was just one of those ‘God things,’” Schweiger said. “I filled her shoes perfectly.”

Filling her shoes is one thing, but succeeding in them is another, and that is something Schweiger strives for this season, holding high aspirations for the Eagles.

“My goal is for us to be in the final four of the national tournament,” Schweiger said.
A 28-10 regular season led the Eagles to a NAIA National Tournament bid, and despite a season-ending loss to Texas-Brownsville in the quarterfinals, the team will use that to set the bar higher for the coming season.

Husband fits in with the team

Schweiger and her husband’s addition will bring a new dynamic to the team chemistry. “He hung out with the team a lot yesterday and he loved them and they loved him. It’s just different for them because they’ve never been around a teammate who’s had a husband but I really think they’re enjoying it,” Schweiger said. “He’s fitting right in.”

Her husband, Jeff, is quite an athlete himself. He started three years at defensive end for the University of Southern California football team before playing his senior year at San Jose State, and was signed by the NFL Denver Broncos but was released during training camp. This came as a blessing, Schweiger said, as Jeff was able to create and maintain his own business in the absence of his football career.

Schweiger is looking forward to what the Christ-centered campus of Biola has to offer and she’s glad she has “her other half” by her side.

“I feel really blessed to be here,” Schweiger said. “I get to enjoy Biola and this new amazing team. They’re such hard workers and I don’t doubt that their motivation comes from the Lord.”