The Necessary Unnecessary: coping during finals

I searched for study tips that I could share with you to make this column worth your time this week — it being finals crunch time and all. Instead, I found a lot of unhelpful advice. It seemed as though all the pointers demanded no procrastination, nutritious apples and almonds and protein bars (no fries or cheeseburgers) and “being good to yourself.”

Since we all know that such behavior is generally impossible for everyone but overachievers, I decided to toss the advice salad-style, serve up a bit, let you munch on the leaves, and then present a more collegian-oriented meal.

*The Salad

Studying advisors deliver a mixed bag of advice. One expert at academictips.org says, “Studying should begin at least 10 days in advance. Give yourself manageable sections to study each day.”

Nothing special here – just romaine leaves, the expected.

Bob Kizlik, author of “Monster Learning Skills,” scared me by spurting the cherry tomato in my face.

“No two people study the same way, and there is little doubt that what works for one person may not work for another.”

Okay? If it’s all relative, how can you help me?

“Your success … is dependent on your ability to study effectively and efficiently. The results of poor study skills are wasted time, frustration and low or failing grades. It's your life, your time and your future.”

Thanks for ignoring my question.

With online guides in 28 languages, studygs.net features more practical, but sometimes laughable, tips such as:

•Get a dedicated space, chair, table, lighting and environment.

•Avoid your cell phone.

•Center yourself around your values and principles.

•When you notice your thoughts wandering astray, say to yourself, “Be here now,” and gently bring your attention back to where you want it. The sliced egg.

My palate isn’t satisfied. Let’s move on to the real meal.

*Tri-Tip Steak Sandwich, Curly Fries and Choc-A-Holic Pie

I call this the “Necessary Unnecessary,” or NU. It’s “what I’d like to do if I had an hour to do anything.” And this semester, I’ve found that it’s been the most essential thing to keeping me sane. So I’m going to ask you now:

What’s NU?

What I mean is, what’s your Necessary Unnecessary?

Is it surfing at sunset? Is it jamming with your band? Is it playing Iron Man on your PS3? Slurping a Cold Stone milkshake? Driving to Borders, smelling the heavenly ink and fresh paper, then grabbing a book and reading for fun? Is it talking on Skype to your best friend?

Then DO IT!!! If you spend your entire week in the library studying, you won’t have any memories to cherish. If you take all your time researching, you will befriend patterns of black on white that make words and express ideas, but you will not be with your friends or express your own personality.

I guess what I’m saying is that it’s possible to be responsible during finals and still enjoy yourself. Do your work, but give yourself incentives. Every day. Pick what’s NU for you each day this week, and reward yourself. For a few weeks this semester, I never allowed myself time to relax. And then I realized that if I can’t enjoy now, there is no point in what I’m doing. That very evening, I quit worrying about the music at the banquet I was hosting, the noodle kugel, the PowerPoint, the volunteers. I ate an extra-large spoonful of horseradish just to be funny, got choked up and learned to laugh again.

Do something NU.

And if you've dug an academic hole for yourself, don't panic. It’s true that little can help procrastinators who never cracked a book all semester, but I still believe in one technique for students who have fallen behind at finals: CRAM.