Meal Equivalency Test has rough start

Bon Appétit’s Meal Equivalency Test offers additional meal choices for students, but the program had a rough start.

After spring break, Bon Appétit started the Meal Equivalency Test — a program where students with 10-meal plans could pick up a previously prepared meal from Eagle’s Nest, the Talon, or Common Grounds for one card swipe.

Although there is only one option per day, it is efficient for students who are constantly on-the-go. It includes a drink and a side for a complete meal, and it is not as wasteful as the cafeteria can sometimes be.

Rough start to program

Bon Appétit’s meal equivalency program had a rough start. Intentionally, the test run limited itself only to those with the 10-meal plan. This allowed Bon Appétit to test Biola’s interest, and the program’s logistics. Unfortunately, the test was not well advertised, so many students did not know it was happening.

Initially the employees at Eagles Nest and the Talon were equally oblivious to the change. When a Chimes staff member asked what the option was for lunch, the employee stared back across the counter with a blank face and turned to a colleague who mirrored the empty expression. However, after a week or so, Bon Appétit had posted options for the entire week on their Facebook wall — though it has not been regularly updated.

Use of social media to advertise

Because many students were unaware of the program, it is difficult to know just how successful a launch would be. Building anticipation via social media outlets and more strategic on-campus promotion efforts would have been an effective solution to this lack of awareness.

Bon Appétit began with this idea in mind, creating a Twitter account to aid students wanting quick information about daily meal options. But in execution, they stopped all social media activity with one tweet pointing to a menu posted on their Facebook wall.

Lack of variety in program

Those who used the new program found the Meal Equivalency Test convenient. It was offered during a strategic time surrounding finals week. However, running into the Caf to grab a to-go box with a wrap or salad can often take less time than waiting in line at Commons or the Talon.

In addition, the vague, limited menu is impractical for those with diet restrictions. Currently, there is no meal equivalency option for those with gluten allergies or vegetarian habits.

The menu is the same at all retail locations, limiting the variety to just one entree a day. If the menu is developed more, maybe with a variety of one or two choices at each location, it would be a more viable option for students on-the-go.

Through the years, many students have expressed the desire to be able to use their meal plans outside of the Caf and Bon Appétit has done well to respond to the student voices.

The meal equivalency plan was a great start, but before a full launch in the fall, serious considerations should be made toward marketing, menu variety, and broader accessibility for all students with Bon Appétit meal plans.