Biola baseball advances in NAIA championship with 12-1 win against Oklahoma Baptist

Biola baseball won 21-1 against the University of Saint Francis on May 14 and faces Oklahoma Baptist University on May 16 in the next round of the NAIA championship.

Erik Markus, Writer

Biola baseball won a rematch 12-1 against the University of Saint Francis in Joliet, Ill. on Saturday, May 14. This allows the team to advance to the championship game against Oklahoma Baptist University. After losing a close game Friday to Oklahoma Baptist, on a walk-off home run, Biola fought back to earn a second chance.

On Friday Biola had a lead going into the bottom of the ninth, when suddenly their smooth sailing trip to the NAIA world series was halted by a two-run homer. Biola was dropped into a single elimination tournament and forced to take on St. Francis again on Saturday.

St. Francis came out giving their best efforts, scoring the first run in the bottom of the third to take a 1-0 lead. Meanwhile, St. Francis starting pitcher, freshman Ryne Gill put the pressure on the Biola offense, not allowing even a hit until the fifth. When Biola finally did reach Gill however, they did it in a big way, scoring a tremendous 12 runs on 18 hits the rest of the way. The Biola bats came alive as they slugged their way through a difficult two-out situation to score six runs on eight straight hits.

Along with the incredible timely hitting, senior Alex Brueske took control of the game, guiding the Eagles to a final game, pitching nine innings, only surrendering one run. Biola faces Oklahoma for the second time with hopes for a national championship bid.