Biola baseball wins against Saint Francis, advances in NAIA championship

Biola baseball wins in the opening round of the NAIA National Championship against the University of Saint Francis.

Erik Markus, Writer

Biola baseball won their opening round game in the NAIA National Championship in Joilet, Ill., 6-2 against the University of Saint Francis. After a solid pitching outing by sophomore Nick Turner, Biola was tied at two in the eighth inning but clutch hitting by junior Drake Fages, senior Brian Loard and junior Mac Sullivan pulled them through to the next round with four runs to clinch the victory. With this necessary victory, the Eagles will move on to play the top seeded Oklahoma Baptist University.

Biola starter Turner took the mound with his sights set on a win. During the seventh inning, Turner handed the ball off to senior relief pitcher Kyle Atkins after only allowing seven hits and two runs with four strikeouts. Atkins took the mound in complete control. In the bottom of the eighth, the Biola offense found their stroke. With one out, Fages singled to right driving home senior Michael Andrews from second.

Biola finally broke the tie but they clearly were not finished. The very next batter, Sullivan stepped to the plate and drilled the ball to right for a three run home run. With a 6-2 lead, Atkins took care of the rest, retiring the side with ease.