Men’s golf team places eighth at national tournament

The Biola men’s golf team scored one under par in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics National Qualifier Tournament on April 19, placing eighth out of 13 teams.

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola men’s golf team placed eighth out of 13 teams at the two-day National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics National Qualifier Tournament this past week. The Eagles recorded a combined team score of 311-306-304, which was +71, one under par.

Sophomore Kenny Gibo led the team, recording a final score of 225 over the course of the three rounds of the tournament. He played exceptionally well during the 36-hole the first day where he shot 71-74. Gibo started off the tournament strong and junior John Graham finished the tournament with a stellar performance in the final round, in which he shot a 68. Sophomore Joshua Mathis paced the group with consistent overall play by shooting 78-73-78.

Point Loma Nazarene University won the tournament with a score of 300-289-290. They will now move on to compete in the NAIA National Championship Tournament that will be held on May 25 to 27. This was the Eagle’s last opportunity to qualify for the National Tournament because they were not ranked high enough in the NAIA polls to be able to get an at-large bid.