Biola tennis loses to Westmont

Despite good efforts, the men’s and women’s tennis teams lost to Westmont Wednesday.

Erik Markus, Writer

The Biola men’s and women’s tennis teams were back in action the afternoon of Wednesday April 27 in Santa Barbara against the Westmont Warriors. The men struggled against the 6th ranked Warriors, losing 9-0, but the ladies nearly pulled out the victory with a narrow 5-4 loss to an unranked Westmont team.

For the men, close matches were turned in by senior Ryan Adams and sophomore Chris Anderson. Adams has answered the call and provided tireless efforts all season, and this week was no different. Both players fought to the end of their three set matches, but neither could come up with the victory.

On the girl’s side, Biola gave a tremendous effort, but could not match Westmont in singles as the allowed them to make a comeback in singles. Biola swept the first round of doubles, with an 8-6 victory by freshman Kia Choi and freshman Kelly Thompson, and two 8-4 victories by pairs senior Kristen Williams and sophomore Mariah Pace as well as junior Danielle Calbeck and sophomore Alisha Hansen. Going into the singles round, Westmont proved their desire to win was stronger, but got strong resistance from Calbeck who played masterfully and Hansen who had luck on her side. Although in the end, the ladies could not prevent the comeback Choi said they still “had a blast.”

The Biola tennis team will play in the Ojai Tournament Friday which will conclude this difficult season.