“Hop” an eclectic and surprising Easter movie

Hop mixes cartoon animals and live action with an Easter theme, and makes a surprising success of the combination.

Elisa Walker, Writer

E.B. (Russell Brand) isn’t your average rabbit. His father (Hugh Laurie) is the Easter Bunny, and with that comes great responsibility. His entire life is spent preparing for the day when his father would pass the magical powers of Easter onto him, but when E.B. realizes his dreams of becoming a drummer, everything changes. His father regards him as a failure as a son and E.B. decides to run away. That’s when he runs into Fred (James Marsden). The unlikely pair realize that each has disappointed his father, and try to make their own marks on the world. But when disaster strikes will they abandon their dreams or do what’s right?

Film succeeds despite interesting setup

I’ve never quite seen a movie like this before, with characters jumping from cartoon to human actors, as well as the storyline in general –– really, the Easter Bunny? However, it was actually good and I enjoyed the film’s originality. Some may think an Easter Bunny movie can’t be that good, but this film does a great job at keeping the audience’s attention. There were plenty of heartfelt moments, hilarious comedic timing and dramatic hurdles that the main characters have to get through. But most importantly, there was a solid and fluid storyline. Everything fit well and each character was there for a solid purpose.

Acting talent shines in story

As for the acting, Marsden was hilarious and his comedic timing was perfect. Brand’s voice was great for the character of E.B. and it fit wonderfully in the movie. Laurie did an awesome job playing the Easter Bunny; I could barely tell that it was him. But I’d say that the breakout star in this film would be Tiffany Espensen who plays Alex, Fred’s little adopted sister. This girl has great acting abilities, and her comedic timing is outstanding and on par with Marsden. I’m sure we’ll see more of her in the future.

There weren’t any negatives that I can think of as most of the humor was age-appropriate and the kids in my theater would not stop laughing. So I think overall, “Hop” accomplishes its goal of entertaining kids very well.

Film great for the whole family

“Hop” is a great kid’s movie and fun for the entire family. But the question is, should a college student spend their money to see it? I would say no. There are better movies out there, and if you’re going to spend $11 to see a movie, you should at least see an amazing one. I still recommend “Hop,” but poor college students will want to wait until it comes to the dollar theater. Also, if you have younger siblings or a niece or a nephew that you’ve been dying to spend time with, then they would adore this film.