Biola baseball beats Vanguard

Eagles baseball beats Vanguard by one run in an action-packed game.

Job Ang

Senior Michael Andrews scores a run in Monday’s game against Vanguard. The Eagles won 7-6 against the Vanguard Lions. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

The Biola University Eagles baseball team snuck by the Vanguard Lions Monday, April 11, with a final score of 7-6. With the win, Biola improves to 25-14 overall and 19-8 in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Eagles and Lions trade lead early on

The Eagles got started early when they scored two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Senior Garrett Leon led off the inning with a single and then came around to score on a double from senior Michael Andrews. Junior Vinnie Fayard then followed up Andrews’ double with a run-scoring single to bring the score to 2-0 in favor of Biola.

Vanguard came back to tie the game at 2 runs apiece in the top of the third inning and then proceeded to take a 4-2 lead in the fourth inning on back to back home runs.

Eagles score big in fifth inning

Biola answered with their biggest inning of the game. With two outs, sophomore Benji Sutherland reached first base on a fielders choice and then stole his second base of the game. With Sutherland on second base, freshman Johnny Farrington and Leon both walked loading the bases. Andrews drew another walk to bring home Sutherland and freshman David McNeill singled to bring home another run. With two outs and the bases still loaded, junior Drake Fages doubled, clearing the bases and bringing in three runs.

This was all the scoring Biola would need behind starting pitcher, senior Kyle Atkins. Atkins pitched five innings giving up four runs. Junior Cameron McVey pitched the final two innings, giving up one run with three strikeouts.

Biola lost center fielder and No. 3 hitter Vinnie Fayard in the third inning when he injured himself playing a ball in the outfield. David McNeill replaced Fayard in the lineup and didn’t miss a beat.

“We trust everybody,” Sullivan said. “We didn’t play our best, but we battled all the way through the very end.”