Biola men’s lacrosse loses to USC Trojans

The Biola men’s lacrosse team took on the Div. 1 USC Trojans for only the second time in the program’s history, losing 12-8.

Daniel Austell, Writer

For the second time in Biola history, the men’s lacrosse team took on the Division I USC Trojans Thursday, April 7. The teams first clashed two years ago resulting in an 11-7 Eagle victory. This time the score difference was also a minuscule four points. But the Trojans came out on top with a 12-8 win.

Promising start to the game for Eagles

The game started well, though rain hammered the field. Biola, fighting back any pre-game jitters, struck with tenacity and took an early 1-0 lead in the first quarter. USC came back and evened the score before sophomore attackman Jeff Clark scored his first of three goals and made it a 2-1 game. Junior attackman Marc Morgan contributed a goal amidst Clark’s first-half hat trick.

Going into the third quarter Biola was excited and confident with a 5-2 lead. “I think there was a little bit of nervousness just because of the name,” said Clark, “but when we went up five to two it was like they’re just another team.”

Eagles struggle in second half

However, according to Clark the Eagles “came back from half just a little bit flat.” USC scored five goals in the third, while Biola scored one. In the fourth, the Trojans continued to find opportunities and score quick goals. Sophomore midfielder Scott Gamelson tried to energize the Eagles by pressing hard and scoring three goals in the second half.

“It was a hard-fought game towards the end,” added Clark, “and we just couldn’t pull it out.”

Exhausted, cold, and frustrated, the Eagles fell 12-8, putting their record against USC at 1-1.