Tennis: week in review

Despite a tough week of losses for Biola’s tennis teams, the athletes are maintaining a positive attitude.

Erik Markus, Writer

Biola men’s and women’s tennis played games against the sixth ranked men’s Point Loma University team Saturday, as well as the third ranked women’s team. The day prior to the Point Loma match, the women played Concordia University at Biola. In all three matches, both Biola tennis teams lost 9-0. This late in the season it is a difficult loss to handle, however Biola has been able to remain positive and grow from the situation.

Biola faces Fresno Pacific

On Monday morning, Biola traveled to Fresno, Calif. to combat the top ranked Fresno Pacific University Sunbirds. This looked grim, especially after both sophomore David Mossman and junior Weston Leopold lost doubles matches. Unphased by the strong opponents, senior Daniel Westman and freshman Isaiah Pekary won the closely contested doubles match 8-6.

Moving into singles, Pekary carried the momentum of the doubles win into his singles match. He dominated 6-0 and then again 6-0 to cruise to victory in two sets. His success was not mirrored across the board but is still noteworthy against the top team in the league.

Men’s and women’s teams lose to PLNU Saturday

On Saturday April 2, Biola men’s and women’s tennis had another tough day today against Point Loma down in San Diego, Calif. Both teams lost 9-0 to the sixth ranked men’s team and the third ranked women’s. Despite the loss, both teams continue to compete against the premiere teams in the league.

The Biola men competed in many of their matches, and narrowly lost each match. In doubles, sophomore David Mossman and senior Ryan Adams again continued their excellent chemistry on the court. The match was back and forth, but Point Loma pulled away with a heartbreaking 8-6 victory. Adams and Mossman have been two of the most efficient combos for the men’s team.

Team leader junior Weston Leopold battled through his match, but missed opportunities forcing his sets to end 6-3 and 6-4. Leopold has not been able to notch a win recently but has faced every team’s top player all season. He embraces the challenges ahead and has been able to improve his game because of it. Adams had the closest singles match of the day that lasted a grueling two hours. He came within a point to winning his first set but Point Loma battled back to force the tie where they prevailed 7-5 for the first set lead.

Biola women’s team loses to Concordia

Although Biola could not grab a win in any of their matches against Concordia, many of the ladies played very well against the tough competition. In doubles, freshman Kia Choi and sophomore Mari Pace both played well in their matches, winning a few games. In singles Choi again fought hard as she was playing against Concordia’s top player, junior Bettina Radke. Freshman Maura Lopez played hard and fought throughout a long highly contested match in the Friday’s hot sun.

After the match, Biola was able to keep their cool, as they gracefully accepted the loss. Head coach, Dee Henry emphasized that it is more important to keep up Biola’s reputation.

“The reputation of the program is more important than the win-loss record,” she said.
Henry said she is never intimidated by the strength of the opponents. “We put our shoes on the same way they do,” she said.

Her influence has rubbed off on her team. Choi said that it is more important to glorify God, than it is to just stockpile victories.

Choi has grown tremendously since the beginning of the season, which she attributes to the position Henry has put her in. She has constantly faced some of the top competition in the league and has been able to pick up tricks in order to better prepare herself for her career here at Biola. She remains confident that if her team continues to work hard and grow they can someday compete with the powerhouses which have given them trouble this season.

Biola men’s and women’s tennis will be back in action Friday April 8 when they face off against Azusa Pacific University.