Biola women’s lacrosse closes season with victory over Marymount

Biola women’s lacrosse won their first game ever in the inaugural season’s last game against Marymount College.

Job Ang

Sophomore attack Shelby Wright brings the ball up on the offense. The Eagles offense netted 17 goals in the team’s first win of its inaugural season. | Lauren Kermelis/THE CHIMES

The Biola women’s lacrosse team finished their first season this Saturday, March 26, with a win against Marymount College that resulted in a final score of 17-11.

“It was a great way to go out. It was our first win of the season and the last game of the season,” said sophomore co-founder of the women’s lacrosse team Courtney Cocoris. “We only had five experienced players. To come that far and win the last game was great.”

The team’s success in the last game was obvious, with freshman defender Jaimie Johnson moving up to attack and scoring two goals and a handful of assists.

Freshman goalie Hannah Quinn had a 64 percent save rate in the game.

“We were passing the ball, spreading the love, and making sure other people were getting goals,” Cocoris said.

Many players that normally were not goal scorers were able to score during this last game. Positive attitudes propelled the team through the season and on to a final victory.

Cocoris said that every half of each game the team improved. Attitudes as well as skill level and knowledge of the game led to the final win. As many learned as they played, the success was the result of the girls quickly picking up the various aspects of the game and applying their new knowledge on the field.

The self-led team of two co-founders and an administrative representative will have an adult coach next season.

“There will be a next season,” Cocoris said. “We now have a coach so it will be a whole different dynamic. With an adult figure there at practices and games, it makes the team a little more serious. We hope to do better and better as the seasons and years go on.”

Although the season consisted of only one win, the team agrees that they peaked at the right time. It was a learning and growing first season that will set the foundation for success in future seasons.

“I’m proud of the girls and how they did this season,” Cocoris said. “They didn’t give up and persevered through the whole season. It is exciting to see that Biola’s first women’s lacrosse team finished their first season ever.”