Biola baseball wins against Concordia

Biola baseball beat Concordia 11-6, Thursday, March 31.

Job Ang

Eagles outfielder Benji Sutherland laces a single during Biola’s match-up against Concordia on Thursday afternoon, March 31, 2011. He would go on to score one of the team’s runs in the inning. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Caleb Taylor, Writer

Biola’s baseball team pulled out yet another win today beating Concordia University 11-6. The weather was perfect, and the Eagles gave their fans a great show. Senior Kyle Atkins had a big impact on the mound today, but instead of his normal spot of reliever he actually started the game. Coach Verhoeven said, “It was a good start by Atkins, he’s been in the bullpen the whole time…but I was pleased with how he threw. He started to command his fastball a little bit around the third and fourth inning.”

Atkins said it wasn’t too weird starting instead of relieving since he was always a starter in high school. He agreed with coach that one of his best pitches today was his fastball. “My fastball inside was good, I jammed a couple guys, and then my slider was working pretty good too.” Atkins said he didn’t care if he was starting or relieving he just wanted to be able to help out his team however he could, did that today by getting the win.

As for hitting, freshman Johnny Farrington led the way for the Eagles as he went 4 for 4 on the day. Farrington had a beautiful bunt in the bottom of the 8th that set up senior Garrett Leon to bring in the two men on base which gave Biola a commanding lead.

The Eagles will play at Concordia next on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at noon.