Women’s tennis showing improvement

Women fall to Dallas Baptist on Tuesday, but won three of last four matches
Sophomore Chrisine Garner slams the ball back to the opposing team, Cal Lutheran, on Saturday afternoon. The girls defeated Cal Lutheran University 6-3.
Photo by Joshua Riordan

As the weather has heated up, so has the women’s tennis team, who won four out of their last six matches.

In the past two weeks, victories against La Verne (5-4), La Sierra (9-0), Whittier (8-1) and Cal Lutheran (6-3) propelled them to a 4-8 overall record after dropping their first six. Fresno Pacific (0-9) and Dallas Baptist (1-8) handed them two losses within that time period.

Leading the Lady Eagles are junior Marisa Flores, sophomore Christine Garner and freshman Nicholle Johnston, each of whom won games in the team’s four victories.

Freshmen Kristen Williams and Sarah Snyder and sophomore Kelli Shiroma also chipped in, picking up singles victories. In addition, Brea Roth helped to win a doubles match against Whittier. Along the way, Shiroma and Snyder also picked up default wins.

Coach Dee Henry, who saw the team’s potential all along, is pleased with how the team is playing.

According to her, the players are hitting well, mixing up their shots, and keeping up with fast-paced players. She also remarked that the team played well under pressure: in the win against La Sierra, five of the nine matches resulted in comeback victories for the Eagles.

“How many times are we as adults under pressure and need to maintain composure to make good choices?” asked Henry. “Tennis gives us an arena to see what life is really like.”

After the women went on a three-game win streak, they hit a bump in the road on Tuesday against Dallas Baptist. The women lost eight games in the match, with their only victory coming because a Dallas player was forced to retire.

While the men haven’t enjoyed the women’s degree of success, they did win their first game of the season against La Sierra, 6-3 on March 7.

The next women’s match will take place tomorrow against the University of La Verne at the Claremont Club. Following that, both the men and women take on Vanguard at the Costa Mesa Tennis Club on March 18.