Intramural Participation Increases

Photo by Kelsey Heng

Freshman Emily Lee plays in the first tennis intramural match of the season Thursday night. Tennis is one of the new sports added to intramurals this semester. It is available to both men and women’s singles and doubles.

Spring at Biola University not only brings rings, but runners, rebounds, rackets and receivers as well. Intramurals for spring 2008 is definitely underway, with this past week being the first full week of events.

Four sports are offered during each semester: fall 2007 featured flag football, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball and volleyball; spring 2008 includes softball, basketball, tennis and soccer. Students were able to sign up for participation in the various sports through the new AS website. According to Intramural Board Director Tyler Groenink, the AS website proved to be a major catalyst in increasing participation in Intramurals sports.

“We’ve done a lot to get more people involved; the AS web site is just one example,” said Groenink. “The website really helped to get Intramurals participation up and going.”

Students can now view updated standings and schedules through the AS web site, which includes a completed list of teams.

Intramurals for the 2007-2008 school year brings further changes—other than the use of the AS web site—through the inclusion of new sports.

“We offered dodgeball in the fall and tennis this spring,” Groenink said. “Passing league football was canceled.”

Participation in Intramurals sports has increased from last year, as reflected through basketball alone.

“Basketball is still the most popular. We have 37 teams this year, which is 10 more than last year,” Groenink said.

For each sport, participants usually play once a week. The average cost, depending on the sport, is $5 per person. The cost for participation is $75 per softball team and $50 per basketball team. Each sport contains different leagues—A, B and C—based on talent.

“Every sport has games at different times during the week,” explained Rebekah McCurry, a participant in Intramurals soccer. “For example, all B-league soccer teams usually play on Friday afternoons.”

Intramurals have been a long-held activity at Biola University and the student turnout is always positive; spring 2008 is no exception.

“Intramurals sports are widely known because a lot of Biola students are involved,” said Angie Hoang, a participant in Intramurals Tennis. “I was involved in AS last year and I always heard students talking about it [Intramurals].”

While several changes have taken place in Intramurals, one aspect remains the same: student anticipation and enjoyment. Participating in Intramurals has been a fun and rewarding experience for many, including Hoang, who played ultimate Frisbee during the fall semester.

“I totally recommend Intramurals to everybody,” said Hoang. “There is involvement for every skill level: you can play for fun or to meet people, but you can also play competitively.”

McCurry agreed.

“I would definitely play again next semester,” she said.