Softball Shuts out Holy Names

Pitchers Emily Gray and Erica Moyer shine on the mound against Oakland team

Photo by Bethany Cissel

Sophomore Krista Johnson slides into second base during Wednesday’s doubleheader against Holy Names University.

Wednesday’s holy word: shutout.

Biola hurlers, junior Emily Gray and freshman Erica Moyer pitched back-to-back shutouts as Biola swept a non-conference doubleheader against Oakland-based Holy Names University on Wednesday at Freedom Field in La Mirada.

The Eagles improve to 6-4 on the season with the two wins, while the Hawks fall to 5-12.

Gray (3-1) scattered six hits and struck out eight to pick up the win in game one while Moyer (1-1) gave up five hits and recorded four strikeouts to pick up her first collegiate victory in the nightcap.

The Eagles’ offense pounded out 20 hits in both games, just 12 total innings at the plate, to support its pitchers. Senior third baseman Jacqie Hudson led the way going 5-6 on the day, while freshman catcher Sara Smith went 4-for-5 on the afternoon.

The Eagles got on the board first in game one as Smith drove home Hudson with a single in the bottom of the second inning.

In the third, Biola added another double by sophomore infielder Krista Johnson to score senior first baseman Sarah Jensen and put the Eagles up 2-0.

In the bottom of the sixth. Biola secured their win with Johnson’s lead-off single, which was driven home on a double to center by Hudson.

Gray had a trying start, but soon settled down. In the first, she allowed the first two batters to reach via a walk and hit by pitch, then moved them to second and third on a wild pitch. She came back with a pair of strikeouts and an infield pop out.

“[Gray] started out rough,” said sophomore infielder Erin DaSilva, “but she really got it together and played great.”

Freshman outfielder Lauren Gandy reached on an error to start the game, stole second, reached third on an infield single by Moyer and scored on a single by Hudson putting Biola off to a good start in the second game.

The Eagles were unable to get a clutch hit until the fourth, despite having runners in scoring position for two innings. With two out and no one on, sophomore outfielder Brittany Bury reached on a single up the middle. Gandy followed with an infield single, then Jensen drove home Bury with a single down the leftfield line. Moyer then helped her own cause with a two-RBI double to make it 4-0.

“Overall, we got key hits at crucial times in the games,” Johnson said.

Moyer also struggled a bit early, but struck out two in the final inning to secure the victory.

Biola travels to San Diego to face a pair of ranked teams on Saturday, March 1, taking on the University of Mobile (Ala.) at 11:00 a.m. and Lee University (Tenn.) at 3 p.m. The Eagles return home Monday for a non-conference doubleheader against Mobile beginning at 12 p.m.

Information courtesy of Sports Information Director, Jeff Hoffman.