Tennis Team Trying to Find Stride Early in Season

Photo by Ronalynn Lieggi

Freshman Nicholle Johnston rallies with an opponent from Cal. State San Bernardino during Friday’s game.

The men’s and women’s tennis teams are making great progress on the court so far this year. Though the improvement is not showing up quite yet in the win column, the Eagles are competing hard against tough competition in the GSAC, which is recognized as a competitive conference.

The women’s team squared off against Cal State San Bernardino last Friday at the Biola Tennis Center in La Mirada. The women fought hard but fell short, losing 8-1. The lone victor for the Eagles was junior Marisa Flores, who won in three sets with a score of 3-6, 6-4 and an arduous 15-13 win in the final set.

The Eagles competed again the next day against The Master’s College and fought valiantly before falling 7-2.

Freshmen Kristen Williams and Sarah Snyder earned the two singles wins for Biola. Williams dropped the first set 6-2, but came storming back to take a 5-1 lead in the next set before her opponent withdrew because of an injury. Snyder won her match in straight sets, 6-1 and then 6-3. Snyder also played well in doubles competition with her partner Flores.

Freshman Nicholle Johnston remains enthusiastic about this season.

“We are really excited for the opportunity to get out on the courts and play the sport that we love,” she said.

Johnston is making vast improvements in her singles game as well as her doubles game, but she said she prefers doubles because it gives her more room to hit the ball wherever she wants on the court.

The men’s team was swept by Westmont College, 0-9, in a non-GSAC match at the Biola Tennis Center in La Mirada last Friday.

Though the men have started the season 0-3, sophomore Nicholas Lazar remains optimistic about the men’s team.

“It takes several years to develop a good program and especially in the NAIA,” he said. “It is a very tough league.”

Right now, the number one priority is having fun, said Lazar. He added that Head Coach Jim Emerson often recites: “Earn respect, have fun, and encourage your teammates.”

The next tennis matches are at home Friday against Azusa Pacific. Azusa is ranked No. 2 in the country on the men’s side and No. 6 on the women’s side.