Track and Field Qualifying Continues at Azusa

Natasha Miller latest to qualify nationally.

Photo by Chris Rice

Kyle Ncnulty (front) and Carter Capulet race in the Concordia Indoor Qualifier on Feb. 2.

Freshman standout Natasha Miller secured a spot at the track and field Nationals in the pentathlon at Azusa Pacific’s Indoor Qualifier last Saturday.

Only the top 16 NAIA participants in the country qualify for Nationals in the event. The pentathlon consists of five events; the high jump, the long jump, the 60-meter hurdles, shot put and the 800 meter run. With her performance, Miller should be placed in the middle of the pack, according to Biola Sports Information Director Jeff Hoffman.

Miller hasn’t forgotten to have fun, explaining how she really enjoys attempting all events. Miller is also a team player and enjoys her teammates support.

“The team is really doing awesome!” she exclaimed.

Miller said she is excited for her other teammates that will be joining her at Nationals.

Those who have already qualified for the women include sophomore Kristin Schmidt, freshman Katie Thede, freshman Erika Perez and freshman Kim Arroues. Senior Brian Ball and freshman Ryan Richert are the lone representatives for the men thus far.

Freshman Rob Clarkson is confident that the Biola track and field team stands apart from any other school. “Our team is really a tight-knit team,” he said. “We are different than other track teams who are individually focused. We are very team-oriented.”

Clarkson commented on how team members are always enthusiastic while cheering on and encouraging their fellow runners.

On Feb. 22, the majority of the team will be traveling to Nebraska Wesleyan University to compete in the Prairie Wolf Invitational. The event will be held at the Devaney Sports Complex, which according to head coach John Zimmerman, is unlike any other place.

“This is a very unique indoor facility and should to be a great tune-up for the national meet,” he said.