Biola baseball beats Point Loma, 7-2

Biola Eagles slammed their way past Point Loma Nazarene University, 7-2.

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

The Biola University Eagles defeated the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions 7-2 at home March 7 in a Golden State Athletics Conference matchup. Junior third baseman, Drake Fages, had the game winning hit for Biola coming in the bottom of the first inning. Junior Boone Farrington led off the inning with a single up the middle and sophomore Benji Sutherland walked.

Following strikeout from junior Vinnie Fayard, Mac Sullivan also walked setting the table for Fages. He connected on a 3-0 fastball and hit it into the space behind the left field fence for a grand slam. “I got ahead in the count,” Fages said, “I only wanted to hit one pitch.”

This no doubt home run was Fages’ eleventh on the season, enough to lead the GSAC and also tie him for the NAIA lead. Sophomore, Nick Turner, was on the mound for the Eagles and followed up last week’s win over Azusa with another solid outing. He pitched seven innings, giving up two earned runs and tallying three strikeouts en route to his second win of the season.

Biola added one more run in the seventh inning and then two more in the eighth. Senior, Kyle Atkins, and sophomore, Jonathan Cade, combined for two scoreless innings and closed out the Eagles’ tenth win.