Eagles baseball defeats Cal State San Marcos

The Eagles beat Cal State San Marcos Monday displaying a strong offense.

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

Monday, Feb. 28 The Eagles beat the Cal State San Marcos Cougars 8-2 in a non-conference game to put Biola at 7-6 in the season. Junior Drake Fages’ eighth home run was the highlight for the Eagles’ offensive outburst.

Consistent scoring in the third and fourth innings

After the Cougars tied the game at 1-1 in the second inning, Biola broke the game open with four runs of their own in the third. Junior Vinnie Fayard reached first base on a bunt single and junior Mac Sullivan singled up the middle, setting up Fages for a big three-run homer. Fages’ eight home runs ties him for the NAIA lead.

In the fourth inning, Biola posted three more runs. With two outs, Sullivan walked and Fages singled immediately after. Senior Garrett Leon welcomed the Cougars’ new pitcher with a two out, two-run double and later scored on a single from senior Josh Burket.

Strong pitching key to victory

Junior pitcher Nate Coronado started the game for Biola and earned the victory pitching five strong innings of one-run ball. He allowed only four hits and two walks and also struck out two. Freshman Erick Allen, sophomore Jonathan Cade and junior Bobby O’Neill finished the game combining for the final four innings.

Leon went 3-5 with two runs scored and two RBIs and Fages also went 3-5 with two runs scored and had 3 RBIs.

Team looks greatly improved from last year

After the first few GSAC games Biola appears to have an improved pitching staff after a conference-worst 8.75 team ERA last season and now they look to have a more consistent offense.

“I think run support is definitely the key for us. it helps out the pitching staff a lot and takes pressure off the starters,” Allen said. “When you go out and pitch with a lead it’s a lot easier than pitching in a close game or behind.”