Biola women’s basketball continues winning streak

The Eagles are enjoying a seven-game winning streak with their recent win against Hope International Tuesday night.

Zachary Fu, Writer

Biola women’s basketball soared to a 76-59 victory over Hope International University in an away game Tuesday night. The win is the Eagle’s seventh in a row. Senior Jessilyn Conicelli recorded her 23rd double-double of the season with a stellar performance of 19 points and 11 rebounds, sinking 9-12 of her shots. Senior Jennifer French shot 50% from the field and scored 13 points. Freshman Adijat Adams contributed a very productive 8 points and 7 rebounds in 13 minutes. “Adijat is one of the most athletic people I have ever met in my life,” Conicelli said of the freshman.

The Eagles played a solid first half and held a 35-21 advantage at halftime. They continued to ride the momentum in the second period and stretched the lead to as many as 32 on a layup by junior Emily Drews with 11 minutes remaining in the game. The Eagle’s suffocating defense played a huge role in the win, which held the Royals to only 28% shooting from the field.

“We struggled in the beginning, but I think we learned how to adjust over time,” French commented on their strong defense.

This win improved Biola’s record to 24-5 overall and 15-4 in the GSAC. The Eagles will cap off the season playing Point Loma Nazarene on Feb. 24 at Chase Gymnasium at 5:30 p.m. It is the Eagle’s last home game of the season and will be senior night for five of the players.

“I think that it will definitely be an important game that we need to win in order to keep the ratings up and get that good national poll for the playoffs,” French concluded.