Biola women’s basketball wins against Concordia

Biola women won against Concordia Saturday, Feb. 19 with a score of 65-60.

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola women’s basketball team came away with the 65-60 victory over Concordia University tonight. It was a battle between the point guards of both teams who were the two high scorers for the game.

Junior Charrise Reece led Biola with a season high 18 points while Concordia’s senior Nicole Fu poured in 21 points. Biola also received strong performances from seniors Christina Barclay and Jessilyn Conicelli who both had double-doubles. Barclay scored 13 points and pulled down 11 rebounds while Conicelli had 12 points and 11 rebounds. It was Conicelli’s 22nd double-double of the season.

Biola played a very good first half and led 36-27 at intermission while shooting 53 percent from the field. Despite this, they seemed to have problems guarding Fu who had 10 points in the first period and single-handedly powered a 6-0 run. Biola started the second half with a three point play by Conicelli within the opening minute of the period. Concordia chiseled away at the lead for the entire half.

A basket by sophomore Camesha Patton brought the score to 61-60 with 27 seconds left. Clutch free throws by Conicelli and Reece within the finals seconds helped Biola to squeeze by with the five-point victory. The win improves Biola’s record to 14-4 in the GSAC and 23-5 overall.

Biola returns to action on Feb. 22 in an away game at Hope International University at 5:30pm.