Biola track teams compete at APU Indoor Qualifier

Biola’s athletes were competitive at the APU meet Friday and Saturday and will return this weekend for more chances to qualify.

Daniel Austell, Writer

Biola women’s track and field proved itself to be a strong long distance team, while the men showed their throwing brawn this past Friday and Saturday at the Azusa Pacific Indoor Qualifier.

Gasner breaks school records

Leading the team of Eagles, senior Kelsey Gasner broke two school records and automatically qualified in both of her record-setting events. She placed second in the 1,000 Meter Run with a time of 2:53.92, breaking Biola’s previous record. Azusa’s Poppy Lewman placed first, arriving only 78 milliseconds before Gasner. Junior Nychele Fischetti also finished well in the 1,000 Meter Run. She crossed the finish line a few seconds after Gasner for fifth place, earning automatic qualification.

Gasner’s second record came in the 1 Mile Run. She placed first with a NAIA top-ranking time of 4:58.13. Vanguard’s Megan Williams came in second with 5:02.77 on the watch. The third place runner finished 11 seconds later.

Other Biola athletes succeed

Success also came to junior Brooke Forsi and freshman Taylor McCahon. Forsi finished first in the 800 Meter Run with a time of 2:20.00––just 23 milliseconds before Azusa’s Diandra Carstensen. Yet Forsi only received a provisional qualification. McCahon was victorious in the women’s pole vault. She cleared 3.43 meters––11 feet, 3 inches. The second highest vault was 3.35 meters, accomplished by Westmont’s Taylor Frantom.

Biola men’s team unchallenged in javelin throw

The men found success primarily in the javelin throw, probably because Biola was the only team with competitors in the event. But freshman Peter Stacy and Jared Zimmerman’s throws still should receive credit. Stacy placed first with a 51.77 meter throw, while Zimmerman launched his javelin 37.72 meters out.

This weekend Azusa holds its Last Chance Indoor Qualifier on Friday and Saturday. Biola will send a small selection of athletes to try their strengths once more for a place in the final meet.