Biola baseball defeats La Verne

Biola University baseball won against La Verne University 10-2 today.

Sophomore+Christopher+Neal+leaps+to+home+plate+to+score+against+La+Verne.+Biola+won+10-2+on+Saturdays+game%2C+now+with+a+standing+of+2-0+for+the+season.+%7CKelsey+Heng%2FTHE+CHIMES++

Kelsey Heng

Sophomore Christopher Neal leaps to home plate to score against La Verne. Biola won 10-2 on Saturday’s game, now with a standing of 2-0 for the season. |Kelsey Heng/THE CHIMES

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

The Biola University Eagles beat the La Verne University Leopards 10-2 in the second half of a weekend double header.

After trailing 2-0 early on, the Eagles rallied to comeback and take the lead in the third inning with a two-run double off the bat of Benji Sutherland. After increasing their lead by two in the fourth inning, they put an even larger number on the board in the fifth.

Catcher Mike Lopez led off the inning by belting his first home run of the season, a solo shot which put the Eagles up 6-2. Lopez finished the game with three RBI. They continued to score four more runs that inning and seal the deal for starting pitcher Kevin Ryan.

Ryan dealt his way through 6.2 innings with 7 strikeouts while allowing only 2 earned runs. Ryan appeared to catch his stride later in the game by only allowing two base runners after the fourth inning.

Jonathan Cade and Erick Allen combined for 2.1 innings without allowing a run to preserve the win for Ryan and the Eagles. Benji Sutherland finished with a game high 4 RBI and a stolen base.