Splash! opens ice skating rink for Christmas season

The city of La Mirada is pioneering an eco-friendly ice skating rink for the first time this year at Splash! water park, within walking distance of Biola.

Nick Sanford, 9, skates at the La Mirada Splash! ice rink with his brother on Dec. 1. The ice rink will run through February of 2012. BETHANY CISSEL/The Chimes

This winter, dreams of a white Christmas might come true for some in La Mirada, as the local Splash! water park has opened an ice skating rink for the season.

Splash!, a public pool and water park controlled by the city of La Mirada, is normally the scene for summer fun. However, during the Nov. 9 city council meeting, the city staff proposed that an ice skating rink be opened at Splash! The Council approved the motion, solidifying the plans of the staff to create a family-friendly skating rink in conjunction with the Crystal Ice Skating company.

Rink attracts first skaters of the season

According to Lori Thompson, a representative for the city of La Mirada, the community has received the rink well. The rink officially opened last Friday, and almost 200 skaters took advantage of the rink over the course of the weekend.

Tammie Acosta, another city representative, said that the rink has been installed in Buccaneer Bay, the section of Splash! that is usually a water park.

“It only takes one day to install,” Acosta said. “The rink is made of pre-fabricated, eco-friendly panels that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. The bottom is coated with a lubricant that makes the rink slick.”

Rink designed to be eco-friendly

Thompson said the rink is eco-friendly because the rink does not use real ice, which means there’s no wasted water and there’s no wasted electricity. Thompson also said that this rink is easier to learn to skate on because it’s not as slippery as a traditional rink.
Acosta said many opportunities will become available with the new skating rink –– including skating lessons, parties, hockey lessons and private rentals.

City measuring responses to the rink

This year is a trial run for the rink. According to Thompson, however, if area residents would like to see the rink return, the city will consider it.

“We realize that local residents would like to see something reasonably priced and close to home that is fun for the whole family,” Thompson said.

Splash! is just across the street from Biola’s campus, and Biola students’ reactions to the news of the rink have been very positive.

“I think it’s great,” said freshman Christine Snailum. “It sounds like so much fun.”
Freshman Christine Loera said she is pleased with the eco-friendly aspect of the rink.
“We should all try to save the polar bears,” Loera said. “I definitely feel better about the rink knowing that.”