Biola women’s basketball experience first loss of season

Eagles women’s basketball are currently 5th ranked in GSAC standings with a 5-1 record.

Job Ang

Junior Emily Drews moves the ball up the floor during a game in Chase Gymnasium. Biola lost to California Baptist, and then upset Azusa Pacific to bring their conference record to 2-1 for the season. Job Ang/ The Chimes

Jennifer Ross, Writer

Biola women’s basketball team improved to 5-1 on the season with three wins leading up to Thanksgiving. The Eagles lost to No. 11 Lewis-Clark State College 61-52, but followed it up by dominating Oregon Tech and La Sierra University, winning by 30 and 29 points respectively, leaving them fifth in the early GSAC standings.

Eagles experience first loss of season

The game against Lewis-Clark State on Nov. 19 started out slow as the Warriors made several shots in the first few minutes. Senior Captain Jessilyn Conicelli got Biola started making a three-point throw at the 17:24 mark. Conicelli ended the first half with a layup to leave Biola only three points behind the Warriors at 30-27.

Lewis-Clark continued their aggression in the second half with an 11-4 run. Senior Jennifer French made a three pointer to bring Biola within four points of catching up, 43-39. With only five minutes remaining in the game and the score at 45-42, the Warriors ran away with the game on a 10-3 run in only 2:25. Junior Lauren Gustafson attempted a three pointer and senior Christina Barclay scored on a put-back to make the score 58-52 but the Warriors scored the final three points and won 61-52.

Eagles beat Owls Saturday

Saturday night’s game against Oregon Tech began in an intense battle for possession of the ball. Nearing the end of the first half Biola was behind two points at 18-16; it was not until senior Megan Jackson won the jump ball that gained Biola possession in the last six minutes of the half. Biola then began a 15-4 run to put themselves on top at 31-22 to end the first half. French scored 12 points in the game and sophomore Jamie Elias came off the bench and scored 13 points. Biola outscored the Owls 47-26 the rest of the way, keeping Biola on top and the evening’s victor at 78-48.

“He really knows the game, amazing how he sees things,” Elias said about head coach Ken Crawford. “He knows how to win and how to treat us,” Elias added. “The goal of this year… We want to be in the final two.”

In a non-conference game last Tuesday, Nov. 23, Freshman Adijat Adams starred making 14 points and 12 rebounds, helping Biola to end the night with a winning score of 72-43 against La Sierra. Junior guard Emily Drews also added 15 points of her own with three assists and three steals. The game started off well with a 10-1 run by Biola but then Biola began to lose touch, committing 12 turnovers and La Sierra gaining nine offensive rebounds. The Eagles started off well again in the second half with a nine-point run. After a short push back from La Sierra, Biola was able to regain control of the game, making a striking 15-2 run near the end of the second half. The game ended with Biola on top 72-43.

Biola plays Cal Baptist on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 5:30 p.m. in Riverside.