Biola cross country wins GSAC title

On Saturday, Biola’s cross country team displayed their talent at the GSAC conference meet. Biola women won the conference title, and are heading to nationals later this month.

Women’s cross country took home the Golden State Athletic Conference championship Saturday, Nov 6 in Fresno. The men finished fifth and six Eagles earned All-GSAC honors. Photo Courtesy of Mike Sciarra

Cassandra Gonzales, Writer

Saturday was a big day for the Biola’s cross country team. Senior Kelsey Gasner took second place in the five mile race and the women took home the conference championship at Woodward Park in Fresno.

Biola women take GSAC crown

The Eagles out-ran Azusa Pacific University by only one point to claim the GSAC crown. The Biola women scored 43 points to take the title, while APU took second place with 44 points. Point Loma Nazarene followed in third place with 90 points.

“I feel so blessed coming in as a freshman this year, and reaping the benefits of all of [the girls’] efforts and experience.” said freshman Alexandra Sciarra. “Everyone works together to encourage one another spiritually, physically and mentally to perform our best to glorify God. We race as a team and thank God for how he has brought us all together.”

“Not only was this an exciting experience, it was intensely satisfying and rewarding,” said head coach Jonathan Zimmerman on Saturday. “From the beginning of the season, we’ve talked about just getting a little bit better than last year.”

First GSAC title in five years

The GSAC title is not only the first in the program’s history, but also the first for any Biola sport since baseball took the GSAC crown in 2005. This win has allowed the Eagles to earn the conference’s automatic berth to the NAIA National Championships on Saturday, Nov. 20 at Fort Vancouver Historical Site in Vancouver, Wash.

Senior Kelsey Gasner continued her streak of continually placing in the top five by coming in second place and crossing the line at 17:34. Gasner finished just three seconds behind first place winner and individual champion, Poppy Lawman from APU.

Junior Nychele Fischetti crossed the line at 18:11 with a seventh place finish, and was closely followed by freshman Alexandra Sciarra, who finished in eighth place at 18:13. Other Eagles who placed in the race were senior Sarah Brooks placing 13th in 18:26, and Carissa Bowman coming in 14th at 18:27.

Biola men impress with fifth place finish

On the men’s side, The Master’s College claimed the team championship title with 58 points, followed by APU with 67 points. The Biola men’s cross country team finished in fifth place with an overall score of 118 points, moving up four spots from last year’s conference championships.

Senior Ryan Richert earned All-GSAC honors at Saturday’s eight mile race, and a trip to the NAIA National Championship with his seventh-place finish. Richert continued his impressive season by crossing the finish line at 25:14.

Freshman Danny Ledesma finished 19th place with a time of 26:11, followed by sophomore Spencer Lyle at 26:30 and junior Brian Aukshunas, who placed 31st and crossed the line in 26:38. Senior Carter Williams rounded it out for the men’s squad by placing 33rd and crossing the line at 26:42.

Saturday’s race marked the third straight impressive race for the men’s squad, who continue to improve on their time individually and as a team each week.

“Our men’s and women’s team are extremely united and on the same page with work ethic and expectations, and you can see that in their performances,” said Coach Zimmerman on Saturday.

The women’s squad and senior Ryan Richert will be continuing their training until the NAIA Championships in Vancouver, WA. on Nov. 20.