Biola volleyball enjoys week of victories

Biola had an eventful week of volleyball, winning all three matches, beating Vanguard, Westmont, and San Diego Christian to move into second in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Seniors Lindsay Dietzen, Abbie Wright, Amy Mosebar and Tavea Hampton bow for prayer during the post-game ceremony after their final home game in Chase Gym. They swept San Diego Christian 3-0. Photo by JORDAN NAKAMURA/The Chimes

Megan Jackson, Writer

Biola snapped up three more wins this week and moved into second place in the Golden State Athletic Conference. The victories against Vanguard University, Westmont College, and San Diego Christian University improved the Eagles’ record to 25-7 and 16-3 in GSAC competition.

Thursday: Biola beats Vanguard

On Thursday, Biola pulled off a close 25-22, 23-25, 21-25, 25-22, 15-12 win against Vanguard University.

The game looked very even at the start, and the scores remained close until Vanguard tallied five consecutive points to take an 18-16 lead. Biola then made a 4-1 run after exchanging points with Vanguard to tie the set at 21-21. Only one Lion point came before the Eagles scored another four consecutive points to take the set 25-22 with a block by senior Amy Mosebar and sophomore Christine Douglas.

The second set found the two teams neck and neck until Vanguard broke open an 11-11 tie to bring the score to 20-13. But the Eagles responded with a 9-2 run, which tied the score at 22-22. Vanguard made back-to-back kills after exchanging points with the Eagles to take the set.

The score remained close through the beginning of the third set. Vanguard was able to score eight of the final 11 points, which took the score from an 18-17 Biola lead to a 21-25 Vanguard victory, giving the Lions a 2-1 lead on the match.

The fourth set found the teams exchanging points, until Vanguard used a five-point run to take a 16-13 lead. However, the Eagles were able to pull together and come from a 22-19 deficit to take the set 25-22. Strong serving by senior Lindsay Dietzen helped the Eagles score their last five points and tie up the match 2-2.

In the fifth set, both teams were unable to take more than a three-point lead. After the score tied at 11-11, several key kills by senior Tavea Hampton and a Vanguard error let the Eagles squeak by to win the set 15-12 and take the match.

Hampton had a career-making night, recording 20 kills and five blocks. Douglas contributed 18 kills and two blocks, and both Mosebar and junior Kim Russell added eight kills.

Saturday: Biola crushes Westmont at home

Biola also swept Westmont College 25-19, 25-23, 25-12 on Saturday in Chase Gymnasium.

The Eagles were able to reach a 7-7 tie in the first set, with a 6-1 run to go up 13-8. After Westmont closed the gap to 16-14, Biola responded by taking a seven-point lead and easily taking the set 25-19.

The second set proved to be more difficult to control for the Eagles. Westmont was able to break a 14-14 tie and take a 21-16 lead, which seemed to give them the upper hand in the set. The Eagles were able to use three straight Westmont errors to close the gap to 21-20, but the Warriors responded with two more points to move into position to take the set. However, Biola was able to score four consecutive points, ending with an ace by freshman Emily Weingartner to take the set 25-23.

Biola easily took control of the third set and never relinquished it, using an early 9-2 lead to cruise to victory.

Hampton had another impressive match, recording 16 kills and four blocks to lead the Eagles. Sophomore Nicolette Mather contributed nine kills and two blocks.

Tuesday: Biola crushes San Diego Christian

On Tuesday evening, Biola swept San Diego Christian 25-11, 25-14, 25-10 in the Eagles’ final home match of the season. This match was also Senior Night, and seniors Hampton, Dietzen, Mosebar, and setter Abbie Wright were honored at the conclusion of the match.

Strong serving gave Biola control of the match, starting out the first set with an 8-1 run with Dietzen serving. The Eagles led by as much as ten points in the first set, and easily took the set at 25-11.

In the second set, Biola was able to stretch their lead to 13 points before San Diego Christian responded with a five-point run. However, the Eagles quickly scored the final point of the set and ended with a score of 25-14.

Wright served the first seven points of the third set for the Eagles, including three of her five aces on the evening. The Hawks were able to come within eight and bring the score to 14-6, but the Eagles swiftly took the set and match with an 11-4 run.

The four seniors each played impressive matches in their last outing in Chase Gymnasium. Wright recorded 26 assists in addition to her five aces, bringing her total career tally to 180 aces in four seasons. Hampton contributed 11 kills, while Mosebar made six kills, two assists, two digs, and a block. Dietzen added 14 digs and a service ace.

The Eagles return to action on Saturday, taking on Point Loma Nazarene University at 3:00 pm in Biola’s final game of the regular season.