Biola women’s volleyball loses two consecutive games

Biola volleyball team loses one at home and one on the road this week.

Megan Jackson, Writer

This week, the women’s volleyball team fell to both No. 5 Texas-Brownville University and No. 6 California Baptist University. The No. 3 Eagles, who have not suffered back-to-back losses since August, drop to 22-7 on the season and 13-3 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.

Last Thursday, Biola hosted Texas-Brownville University at Chase Gymnasium in a non-conference match. The Eagles lost 25-19, 19-25, 21-25, 22-25 in four draining sets.

Biola wins only one set against Texas-Brownsville

Biola came out to a slow start in the first set, letting Texas-Brownville take a 9-4 lead. But the Eagles used a four-point run after tying the score at 13-13 to go up 19-16. Biola used five consecutive Scorpion errors, including three coming from blocks by Rachel Buckley and Nicolette Mather, to take the set 25-19.

The second set also found the Eagles coming out slow, but this time they were unable to gain the upper hand. After letting Texas-Brownville take a 10-3 lead, Biola was never able to come within four points of the Scorpions for the remainder of the set. The Eagles couldn’t manage to string together consecutive points, and lost the set 19-25.

Biola narrowly loses third and fourth sets

In the third set, the two teams stayed close until Texas-Brownville broke open a 9-9 tie with a four-point run. However, Biola made a run of its own and brought themselves within one point of the Scorpions at 14-13. But Texas-Brownville responded with five in a row, which proved to be too much for Biola, and exchanged points with the Eagles until taking the set 25-21.

The fourth and final set also found both teams locked in a 9-9 tie. Again, Texas-Brownville took the lead, but the Eagles won seven of the next nine, which brought the score to 20-19. A last minute surge by the Eagles brought Biola within two, but the Scorpions were able to stretch their 24-22 lead to take the set and the match with a final kill.

Sophomore outside hitter Christine Douglas led the Eagles with nine kills and four digs, while junior Kim Russell contributed eight kills, seven digs and one block.

Biola loses to Cal Baptist

On Saturday, Biola lost to California Baptist University 15-25, 25-18, 18-25, 24-26 in Riverside.

The Eagles fell behind 9-3 early in the first set and were only able to close the gap to 12-9 before the Lancers broke the set open and never looked back.

In the second set, Biola quickly gained momentum with an 11-4 run that gave the Eagles a 24-12 lead. Even though the Lancers won six in a row to narrow the gap, Biola was able to take the set 25-18 with a block by Russell and senior middle blocker Tavea Hampton.

California Baptist made an early 11-5 run in the third set, which the Eagles answered by narrowing the gap to 13-10. But another Lancer surge gave California Baptist a large enough lead to carry them through the set and come out on top, 25-18.

California Baptist took a 13-10 lead early in the fourth set, but Biola won eight of nine to take the lead 18-14. A few points were exchanged before an Eagle block gave Biola a 23-19 edge and what looked to be another set.

However, five straight Eagle attack errors gave California Baptist a second chance and the lead at 24-23. Senior Amy Mosebar recorded a kill that tied the score at 24-24, but two consecutive Lancer kills gave California Baptist the set and the match.

Mather played a strong game for the Eagles, recording 16 kills. Hampton contributed 11 kills and four blocks.

Biola returns to action tonight, taking on Vanguard University in Costa Mesa. The Eagles will be playing at home against Westmont College on Saturday at 3 p.m.