Biola women’s basketball prepares for upcoming season

A preview of the upcoming season for women’s basketball.

Cassandra Gonzales, Writer

Basketball season is just around the corner, and the lady Eagles are ready for what this season has in store for them. With two preseason games already under their belt, they are currently ranked 13th in the NAIA pre-season national polls, which also happens to be the highest pre-season ranking in Biola women’s basketball history.

Eleven conferences are represented in the NAIA pre-season poll, led by four teams each from the Golden State Athletic Conference.

The Eagles finished their 2009-10 regular season with a 20-11 overall record, allowing them to finish fourth in the Golden State Atlantic Conference. However, Biola has high expectations.

“Our goal is to continue to improve as a program,” said Head Coach Crawford. “We have been to the national tournament and ranked in the top 25 for the past two years, [and] we would like to continue that success.”

This year’s roster changes

To help reach that success, the Eagles have welcomed four new freshmen to their squad, along with four returning starters. Among the four new freshman are: Adijat Adams from Inglewood, Calif., Dani Hallberg from Wentachec, Wash., Haley Nickel from Fargo, N. Dakota, and Sarah Brodie from Murrieta, Calif. Coach Crawford is optimistic about the forming of this year’s team.

“This team is very experienced and has worked hard to gain strength and an understanding of the game,” said Coach Crawford.

The Lady Eagles have also proven that they are skilled on and off the court, with three returning scholar All-Americans, Megan Jackson, Jessilyn Conicelli, and Christina Barclay

Highlights of the upcoming season

The Biola squad will be playing fourteen games versus opponents ranked in the pre-season polls including dates with Azusa Pacific, Vanguard, Point Loma, Lewis-Clark State and Evangel University. In addition to the regular season line-up, the women’s team will be hosting their second annual Biola Holiday Classic, which will take place December 28-30. The classic consists of twelve teams from throughout the U.S. and Canada, and is a major benefit in enhancing the Biola name and community.

The team will also be taking on the University of Southern California on Tuesday, Nov. 9 at the Galen Center.

The Lady Eagles, who are now coming off back-to-back NAIA Tournament appearances, open the regular season on Friday, Nov. 5, with two games in the Bay Area.