Biola to submit master plan to La Mirada

Wednesday, Biola’s President’s Administrative Council shared some of their plan for the next few years.

Harmony Wheeler, Writer

Biola is in the process of creating a new master plan for submission to La Mirada, Greg Balsano, president of University Services, said at Wednesday’s President’s Administrative Council press conference with campus media.

Plan will develop within the next two years

The plan, which could involve buying more apartment buildings or expanding or tearing down and rebuilding current dorms, will be developed and finalized within the next two years, Balsano said. It may also help Biola expand. With the possibility of more housing and an approved parking garage to be finished in time for fall 2011 classes, Biola may be able to request an increase in the city’s current allowance of up to 5,000 full time equivalent students on campus. Balsano said Biola would like request no more than 1,000 students be added to that limit.

Future buildings may be included

Current projects, such as the building of the Talbot Complex, and future projects such as a science building and an arts building may also be included in the plan. The funding for these projects, coming almost entirely from donations, was also discussed at the press conference along with a feasibility study to begin in early 2011 that will look at who donates to Biola, what donations should go toward and how feasible current and future projects are based on projected donations.

Importance of financial support

“We will be meeting with donors after the first of the year,” said Adam Morris, vice president for Advancement. “[We want to] glean information to assess where the area of interest is. We want to be successful in the dollars that we raise. [We’re] building out a skeleton of what a comprehensive campaign would look like.”

Other members of PAC attended press conference

Balsano and Morris were joined at the press conference by the other members of PAC including vice president of Business and Financial Affairs Michael Pierce, senior director of Integrated Marketing Communications Irene Neller, vice president for Enrollment Management Greg Vaughan, vice president for Student Development and University Planning Chris Grace and provost David Nystrom. President Corey also attended.