Biola women’s soccer loss to Cal Baptist ends season

Biola’s season cut short with a loss to Cal Baptist in the quarterfinal game Tuesday.

Sophomore Ashleigh Cooley challenges two Master’s College forwards for the ball. Biola went on to defeat the Lancer’s 2-1 to earn a spot in Golden State Athletic Conference playoffs. Photo by BRAD MIERSMA/ The Chimes

Jennifer Ross, Writer

Biola’s women’s soccer quarterfinal’s game against Cal Baptist ended in a 3-1 defeat Tuesday. Hopes were strong for a victory as earlier this season Biola beat the No. 9 Lancers 2-1.

Cal Baptist led 2-0 at halftime. The Lancers dominated the first half with eight shots on the goal, while Biola managed only one.

“I didn’t think it was over yet,” said Coach Elkins about the first half. During halftime, Elkins told the girls to try and play more together. “We are a good team when we rely on teammates help, instead of playing individually.”

Eagles attempt to rally in second half

Pulling it together in the second half, the Eagles managed six shots on goal while the Lancers had eight. Stepping up their game, Biola took their first shot on goal only five minutes into the second half and another shot three minutes later.

It was not until the Lancers scored their third goal of the evening with two minutes and ten seconds left on the clock that that the Eagles answered. Senior Sam David made Biola’s first and only goal of the game with only one and a half minutes remaining.

Eagles spend more time on defense than offense

The majority of the game was spent with the Lancers in attack on the goal. It was not until later in the second half that the Eagles worked hard enough to move the ball towards midfield.

“We didn’t make a competitive game,” admitted Coach Elkins. “There were too many stretches. We were not playing hard enough, and you need to in playoffs.”

Biola proud of season

Coming from ninth place in the season to a quick move up into sixth after the last two games versus Masters and Vanguard, the Eagles playoff qualification was something to be proud of.

“I’m really proud of the girls, especially the seniors. The seniors acted as leaders of the team and they strongly encouraged the players throughout the season. Without their support we would not have gotten as far as we did,” Elkins said.

The Eagles finish the 2010 season with a 6-5-6 record, including 3-2-5 in conference.