Biola volleyball beats #14 Point Loma [Updated]

Biola’s women’s volleyball team won their latest game 3-1.

Seniors Abbie Wright and Amy Mosebar celebrate with teammates on the court during their 3-1 defeat of No. 14 Point Loma Nazerene. Wright had 31 assists and eight digs while Mosebar added six kills for the Eagles who have now won nine consecutive matches. BETHANY CISSEL/ The Chimes

Megan Jackson, Writer

Biola’s women’s volleyball team ran through two more Golden State Athletic Conference opponents this week, defeating No. 14 Point Loma Nazarene 3-1 on Saturday in Chase Gymnasium, and topping Hope International by the same score on Tuesday night in Fullerton. The two wins brought the Biola win streak to nine matches. The No. 3 ranked Eagles are now 18-4 overall and 10-1 in conference. Meanwhile, Point Loma falls to 12-7 overall and 6-4 in GSAC play.

In Saturday’s match, Sophomore Nicolette Mather tallied 18 kills. Senior Abbie Wright had 31 assists and eight digs. Junior Kim Russell had 14 kills and 12 digs throughout the night.

After Biola took the first two sets 25-21 and 25-16, PLNU went up 12-9 and eventually the Sea Lions capitalized on an Eagles error and won the third set 25-23.

In the fourth set, Biola jumped out to a 17-10 lead. Point Loma slimmed the lead to 18-17, but couldn’t pull ahead. The Eagles finished the match with a 25-23 set win.

On Tuesday, Biola again took the first two sets with little trouble, and again hit a wall in the third. Hope jumped out to a 20-17 lead before Biola tied it at 21 and again at 23. Once again, a Biola error gave the set to the Heralds. Hope challenged in the fourth set, leading 19-17 before the Eagles tied it at 22. After a timeout and a Hope error, sophomore Christine Douglas drove a kill through the Hope defense to end the match.