Eagle-eyed athletes of the week

Check out current and previous athletes of the week.

Nathan Palatsky, Writer

Christine Douglas

Fast Facts
Year: Sophomore
Team: Women’s Volleyball

Sophomore Christine Douglas, of the volleyball team is one of only four Eagles to have played in all 24 sets of action to this point. She leads the team with 102 kills, 4.25 kills per set and is tops with 106.5 points overall. She is also fourth with nine blocks. She was stellar at the Red Raider Classic, scoring 51 kills on Saturday, 28 of them against Dordt College, from Iowa and 23 against No. 4 ranked Lee University, from Tennessee.

The 6 foot, 1 inch outside hitter played her high school ball at Los Alamitos High School before coming to Biola. “This is an incredibly unique team, with some wonderful people.” Douglas said, “I fully expect us to make it to the national tournament, and honestly I believe we can earn a national championship.”

Published: September 2, 2010

Amy Mosebar

Fast Facts
Year: Senior
Team: Women’s Volleyball

Senior Amy Mosebar led the Eagles with nine kills and led both teams with a .467 attack percentage on Saturday night as Biola swept The Master’s College 25-22, 25-18, 25-22, a game that happened to be on her birthday.

Mosebar, an outside hitter from Manhattan Beach, California came to Biola from Redondo Union High School. Last year she was second on the team with 247 digs and tallied 51 kills. This year she is fifth on the team with 74 kills, fourth with 25 assists, and fifth with 88.5 points.

Published: September 23, 2010

Natalie Oliver

Fast Facts
Year: Sophomore
Team: Women’s Soccer

Sophomore Natalie Oliver scored in the 69th minute to give women’s soccer a 1-0 victory over NCAA Div. II Colorado Christian on Tuesday night. Senior Brittany Barr found her with a crossing pass into the box to create the opportunity after the Eagles had showered the Colorado goalie with 13 shots to that point.

“I am excited I was able to contribute to the team this week.” Oliver said, “Biola has a great women’s soccer team this year and I look forward to working alongside my team to get to playoffs.”

Oliver, a forward and midfielder came to Biola from Christian High School in La Mesa, California. As a freshman last year, she scored two points, including one goal, on five shots on goal. She will be key in the Eagles push for playoffs.

Published: September 23, 2010

Ryan Richert

Fast Facts
Year: Senior
Team: Cross Country

Senior Ryan Richert of the cross cuntry team is this week’s Eagle-Eyed Athlete of the Week. Richert finished first out of 61 runners in the men’s race at the UC Redlands Cross Country Invitational. In his first race of the season, Richert finished the six kilometer course in 19:11.70, almost five seconds ahead of the next finisher.
Richert, who came to Biola from Olivet Nazarene University in Wheaton, Ill, helped the men’s team finish third overall at the invitational, with 82 points. GSAC rival California Baptist University won the men’s race.

Published: September 16, 2010

Dylan Wingrove

Fast Facts
Year: Freshman
Team: Men’s Soccer

Freshman soccer player Dylan Wingrove netted two goals in a lopsided 6-0 drubbing of San Diego Christian College in the Eagles Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) opener on Saturday.

Wingrove came to Biola from San Diego, by way of San Pasqual High School. He is tied for the team lead with four points, and two goals. He has played in seven of the eight games Biola has played to this point, and has shown increasing comfort with the offense. As the Eagles get into GSAC play, all those tough NCAA matchups will start to play offensive dividends and Wingrove will be right in the middle of it.

Published: September 30, 2010

Abbie Wright

Fast Facts
Year: Senior
Team: Women’s Volleyball

Senior Abbie Wright totalled a whopping 65 assists and 21 digs in three games this week, leadig the Eagles to a 3-1 win over Vanguard, 3-0 over Chapman and 3-1 over San Diego Christian.

Wright, who came to Biola from Cardiff, Calif. and attended Santa Fe Christian High School, leads the team with 377 assists and 17 service aces. She has played in 67 of the 72 sets Biola has played so far this season. She is also second on the team with 133 digs.

Wright has been a key member of the Eagles, bringing experience and leadership to the floor every time she is in the game. She will play an integral part of the team’s push for a GSAC championship this season.

Published: October 7, 2010