Dee Henry, Biola tennis coach serves community

Dee Henry, Biola tennis coach, not only has bettered the Biola program, but also teaches tennis to kids with disabilities.
Dee Henry, Biola tennis coach, has bettered the Biola program, along with teaching tennis to kids with disabilities.

Dee Henry’s first tennis partner was the wall of an old barn in Carmel, In., where she grew up.

“First time I ever played a set was at Indiana Wesleyan, on the same court where I started coaching collegiate,” said Henry, who prefers being called ‘Coach’ by Biola students.

Developing Biola’s tennis program

She was hired at Biola to develop the tennis program. After her husband graduated from Wheaton College, the two applied for jobs all over the place.

“Fortunately for us,” said Coach, “I ended up at Biola.”

Coach Henry was right when she said her placement at Biola was fortunate. Since she became coach, she has turned out a national champion doubles team, a national singles champion, and a national runner-up team. Last year, the Biola tennis team was nationally ranked for the first time in its history, finishing No. 25 in the nation. This season, her tennis team continues to look very promising.

“We’ve got a lot of new kids this year! We were very deep last year, and we’ve got some new kids in. So I’m anticipating a very good year.” Henry said.

Henry’s heart for community

In addition to her incredible coaching skills, Henry also participates in a large range of community service events, including coaching for wheelchair tennis players. In 1978, Henry had the opportunity to attend the Nick Bradin Tennis Academy, where she was introduced to wheelchair tennis. Immediately after this, the Intercollegiate Tennis Association asked all of its participants to give something back to the sport.

Henry said, “First seeing it, then seeing someone who had a disability, and then when they asked us to put something back into the sport—that’s how it all took off.” Some of Henry’s students have learning disabilities, some have cancer, and some are missing limbs, which makes most of her disabled students wheelchair players.

Teaching wheelchair tennis

Henry does more than teach the students tennis; she gives them hope. One of her favorite success stories is Benjamin’s. Benjamin used to play baseball, but now has a limb salvage and is unable to run. Benjamin did not want to play tennis; he only came to Coach Henry to satisfy his caseworker, Jenee. However, Jenee selected a chair for Benjamin with a very specific history.

“When he arrived, Jenee helped select a chair for him to use. This was the first chair used by our first nationally rank player, alumni Craig Stewart, as well as our first internationally ranked player, Eddie Medel.” Henry recounted.

After learning about the success stories in the very chair he was using, Benjamin discovered that he really did love tennis. What’s more, he was able to compete again.

Another story is Robert’s. Henry said that last weekend, Robert’s father drove him to Biola from Irvine right after he had chemotherapy. His father told Coach Henry that Robert appreciated tennis not just because it was a sport, but because it gave him something to look forward to.

Giving people hope

This is where Coach Henry’s incredible mission is based: giving people hope. She works hard in conglomeration with students from her tennis team.

“We have Biola players who want to serve God through their tennis, and they were open to helping out.” said Henry.

Her program is one of the more successful wheel chair tennis programs around. This year, 29 disabled students came to Biola to play tennis due to her clinic. Coach Henry works hard to show these students the love of God, while pushing them to be competitive at their sport.