Biola women’s volleyball continues stellar season

Biola’s women’s volleyball team continued their excellent season this week, with three victories against Vanguard, Chapman and San Diego Christian.

Megan Jackson, Writer

Eagles volleyball continued their impressive winning streak this week, increasing their record to 16-4 in the season and 8-1 in the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC). Victories over Vanguard University, Chapman University, and San Diego Christian College increased the Eagles’ streak to seven matches, having also won 10 of the last 11 contests.

Biola defeats Vanguard 3-1

On Thursday, Biola defeated Vanguard 15-25, 25-16, 25-10, 25-19 in Chase Gymnasium. The Eagles played one of their worst sets of the season in the first, committing 13 attack errors and losing 15-25. Biola was able to recover in the second set, breaking an early tie to take an 11-6 lead. The Eagles kept the lead in spite of several runs by the Lions, and took the set 25-16.

The final two sets found Vanguard unable to break 20 points, as the Eagles cruised easily to win the third set 25-10, and the fourth 25-19.

Sophomore outside hitter Christine Douglas had a monster 26 kills on the match— 24 of them coming during the last three sets— and recorded seven digs and a block. Senior middle blocker Tavea Hampton contributed 10 kills.

Senior setter Abbie Wright recorded five aces against the Lions, and added an impressive 23 assists, nine digs and a kill.

Biola trounces Chapman

On Friday, in their first non-conference tilt in nine matches, Biola swept Chapman University 25-22, 25-13, 25-8. This match again found the Eagles struggling to settle down in the first set, and the Panthers were able to bring the score to a 20-20 and stay head to head with Biola until outside hitter Douglas ended the set with a kill for the Eagles.

The second set went more smoothly for Biola, and the Eagles were able to use a 15-4 run after an 8-6 lead to take the set.

In the third set, Biola again used a quick run to take the upper hand. Freshman setter Nicolette Douglas served four-straight points, with junior outside hitter Kim Russell adding a kill on the final point to easily take the set and the match.

Douglas recorded 19 kills and 11 digs, and Hampton added 11 kills and three blocks. The scoring was shared by sophomore outside hitter Nicolette Mather’s six kills and Russell’s five, along with four kills each from sophomore middle blocker Rachel Buckley and senior right-side hitter Amy Mosebar.

Biola conquers San Diego Christian 3-1

Biola traveled to San Diego Christian on Tuesday, where they took down the Hawks 25-15, 22-25, 25-12, 25-15 in four sets.

The Eagles rode a 12-2 run to break a 13-13 tie and take the first set, but lost their momentum and their 6-1 lead in the second set when San Diego Christian went on a 10-1 run. Biola lost the second set 22-25.

Coming into the third set, Biola clamped down on San Diego Christian and made a convincing 13-2 run, taking both the third and fourth sets easily.

Douglas made 11 kills and three blocks during the match, while Hampton passed the 500-kill mark for her career with nine kills and three blocks of her own. Buckley contributed three kills and five blocks, and Mosebar added seven kills, two digs and a block.

The next match will find the No. 3 Eagles facing off against No. 14 Point Loma Nazarene University Saturday in Chase Gymnasium at 7:00 p.m.